• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ukraine - Superthread

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Last edited:

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
Noteworthy if true and raises obvious questions about launch platform. Anything that enhances Ukraine’s ability to blow up active EM spectrum emission sources is a good thing.
While HARM wasn’t specified, we did admit to supplying the UKR with Anti-Radiation missiles a few packages ago.

The most interesting aspect of this is the only launch platforms that are acknowledged to launch HARM are;
F-4G Phantom ‘Wild Weasel’
EA-6B
F-16
F-15
F/A-18
E/A-18G
Tornado
EuroFighter
F-35 (external pylon only).

I suspect it can also be launched by MQ-9 Reaper as well (it has the weight to carry one internally) and multiple on external hard points.

MilEME09

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
While HARM wasn’t specified, we did admit to supplying the UKR with Anti-Radiation missiles a few packages ago.

The most interesting aspect of this is the only launch platforms that are acknowledged to launch HARM are;
EA-6B
F-16
F-15
F/A-18
E/A-18G
Tornado
EuroFighter

I suspect it can also be launched by MQ-9 Reaper as well (it has the weight to carry one internally) and multiple on external hard points.
Perhaps the 4 Grey Eagle drones that were given to Ukraine were adapted to carry the AGM-88?

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
Curious that despite damage to the metal and paint that the printing remains pristine. Just sayin..
I’m less skeptical on this one… There’s no real ‘gotcha’, nothing to embarrass anyone with. It’s not like the generality that America is providing Ukraine with advanced modern weapons is a secret. I’m more just curious on the technical side, potentially that platform question.

Kirkhill

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Indeed, if ground launched from a improvised or unknown system, it's range would be limited but if air launched it would mean we have adapted Ukrainian jets for western munitions which would represent a game changer in the air war

MiG 29s have been adapted to NATO weapons in the past by the Poles, Germans, Slovaks and Romanians.

MiG-29G/MiG-29GT East German MiG-29 / 29UB upgraded to NATO standards, with work done by MiG Aircraft Product Support GmbH (MAPS), a joint venture company form between MiG Moscow Aviation Production Association and DaimlerChrysler Aerospace in 1993.[165]

MiG-29AS/MiG-29UBS (MiG-29SD)Slovak Air Force performed an upgrade on their MiG-29/-29UB for NATO compatibility. Work is done by RAC MiG and Western firms, starting from 2005. The aircraft now has navigation and communications systems from Rockwell Collins, an IFF system from BAE Systems, new glass cockpit features multi-function LC displays and digital processors and also fitted to be integrate with Western equipment in the future. However, the armaments of the aircraft remain unchanged. 12 out of 21 of the entire MiG-29 fleet were upgraded and had been delivered as of late February 2008.[166]

MiG-29 Sniper
MiG-29 Sniper Upgrade planned for the Romanian Air Force by DASA, Aerostar and Elbit. DASA was responsible for program management, technical support and the test flight program (together with Elbit), Elbit was responsible for developing the avionics package, while Aerostar implemented the upgrades on the aircraft. The first flight occurred on 5 May 2000.[167][168] The upgrades included the installation of a new modular multi role computer based on the MIL-STD-1553B data bus, upgraded western avionics, new radio stations, hybrid navigation system composed of an inertial navigation system and coupled with GPS receiver, identification system, two 152 mm × 203 mm (6.0 in × 8.0 in) MFCDs, a Head-Up Display equipped with UFCP front control panel, new RWR, new HOTAS and new ADC. The addition of a new radar and the integration of western weapons while maintaining Russian ones were also expected.[169] The program halted due to various reasons, along with the retiring of Romanian MiG-29s in 2003, the Romanian Government deciding to further invest in the MiG-21 LanceR program.[170]

Polish MiG-29 jet Fighters Modernised – Fulcrums Compliant with the NATO Standards​

DEFENCE24 07.11.2014 12:45

Military Aviation Works No. 2 based in Bydgoszcz have finished the modernisation process of 16 MiG-29 fighters used by the Polish Air Force. The programme has been carried out together with the Israel Aerospace Industries company, and had a value of PLN 126 million. The aircraft have been fitted with modern avionics, mission computers and NATO-standards-compliant communications suite.

On 4th November Military Aviation Works No. 2 have been a place where a hand-off ceremony regarding the last modernised MiG-29UB took place. The event has been attended by the deputy head of the Armament Inspectorate, Jan Woźniak. Soon the aircraft will join the rest of the modernised fighters, which are at disposal of the 23rd AB in Minsk Mazowiecki. The base is a home for 13 MiG-29A single-seaters and 3 MiG-29UB two-seater jets.

Modernisation which is implemented by the Bydgoszcz-based Military Aviation Works No. 2 has been contracted in August 2011 and it aimed at digitization of the management system, achieving full compatibility with NATO management systems and improvement of the pilot’s work conditions.

Changes included, inter alia, installation of a two-band radio, better positioning system and modernised aerodynamic computer. The new avionics suite is equipped with MIL-Std-1533B data bus, mission computer which facilitates mission planing and post-flight analysis. However, the change which is the most visible is the new data visualisation system, consisting of a 5"x4" MFD and modern HUD display in the cockpit.

End of the modernisation programme does not mean that the equipment of the Polish MiG-29 fighters, which are intensively used also in NATO Baltic Air Policing missions, is to remain unchanged. The Armament Inspectorate has started a market analysis within the scope of equipping the aircraft with IFF Mark XIIA systems, which would be compliant with the latest NATO standard - “mode 5”.

The Romanians have also modernized MiG-21s to NATO standards

The Slovakians seem to be ready to donate their MiG-29s to Ukraine.

Even if the actual complete aircraft have not been transferred to Ukraine the necessary components exist as well as the knowledge base.

Back to "My Grandfather's Axe" - the Ukrainians could continue to fly the same 73 tail numbers they started the war with so long as they receive replacement and upgrade parts from their allies.

Last edited:

MilEME09

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
MiG 29s have been adapted to NATO weapons in the past by the Poles, Germans, Slovaks and Romanians.

The Romanians have also modernized MiG-21s to NATO standards

The Slovakians seem to be ready to donate their MiG-29s to Ukraine.

Even if the actual complete aircraft have not been transferred to Ukraine the necessary components exist as well as the knowledge base.

Back to "My Grandfather's Axe" - the Ukrainians could continue to fly the same 73 tail numbers they started the war with so long as they receive replacement and upgrade parts from their allies.
Slovakian weapons systems remain unchanged, Romanian program cancelled, and we have seen no indication the German migs made it to Ukraine. So we still have no answers

Kirkhill

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Fun video, but I suspect they are not moving this tightly in any area that Russian artillery can reach.

Aren't there occasions where it is worth taking the tactical risk of bunching? I'm thinking that if there was a gap in surveillance might it not be worthwhile to close up and make a dash to relocate from cover to cover. The alternative might be a longer time of exposure and a straggling column which could be defeated in packets. In either event there is a risk that the unit you wanted to relocate doesn't make it intact to its new FUP.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Alot of controversy today over amnesty international's report of ukrainian forces actions in the war so far. I haven't read it my self yet so I won't comment in the report it self yet but Russia is jumping all over it as justification. Though AI Ukraines branch wasn't consulted apparently which raises questions

More aftermath - head of AI's UKR wing resigns ....

BdaDug

Reaction score
So the orders-in-council pushed things forward so they could be completed within a matter of hours, instead of the usual manner of months?

So really…the government CAN move fast on things when they choose to, and the senior bureaucrats CAN push things through. It’s just a matter of willpower.

Let’s take a moment to remember this the next time the government drags something out with minimal results to show in the end. They CAN choose to ignore the red tape they implement for themselves…
Its much easier to move quickly when there aren't reams of existing procedures and forms with approvals to work through. No applicable bureacracy, no problem to move quickly.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Last edited:

GR66

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score

EA-6B
F-16
F-15
F/A-18
E/A-18G
Tornado
EuroFighter

Could it possibly be adapted for launch from a helicopter?

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
Could it possibly be adapted for launch from a helicopter?
I suppose it could, but I think that platform limits of a helicopter would make for a unlikely (and unsuccessful) method.