• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Misconduct Allegations in The CAF

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
And then we are left with the Fortin conundrum: what do you do with a major general? Leave them at home doing nothing, paid, while investigations etc proceed? Or find them something to do that adds some value to the institution?
The former is safer. The latter might be therapeutic and even worthwhile but the bureaucracy (civil and military) is, most often, risk averse.

PPCLI Guy

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Reaction score
And then we are left with the Fortin conundrum: what do you do with a major general? Leave them at home doing nothing, paid, while investigations etc proceed? Or find them something to do that adds some value to the institution?
who is being tarred and feathered for something he is alleged to have done as a teenager 32 years ago.....

We need some perspective here folks. Anyone remember the things they did as a teenager? Or that the PM did in his 20s and 30s?

KevinB

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
I'm sure Gen. Eyre and Lt.-Gen Frances Allen have 100+ IQ points on me each. I realized appointing Gen Dawe to this position would create a huge backlash and shit storm. Am I smarter than these two generals? Do I have more common sense and sensitivity to public optics? I highly doubt it, but that leaves me wondering what the hell is going on then. Their apologies are about as genuine as Trudeau's IMO.
I suspect part of it is a teaching moment.
While I am sure we all know that MG Dawe knows he F'd Up - I think that role would give him some major insights into exactly how he fucked up, the consequences and the issues surrounding that -- I also think based on my knowledge of the man, he would be 110% sure that sort of action never occurred again.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
While I am sure we all know that MG Dawe knows he F'd Up - I think that role would give him some major insights into exactly how he fucked up, the consequences and the issues surrounding that -- I also think based on my knowledge of the man, he would be 110% sure that sort of action never occurred again.
Which touches on this bit exactly ...
A question: what does redemption look like?

Because right now it appears not to exist.
... or, to bring up another term in the news recently in a different context but which could also apply in this situation, reconciliation? Lotsa revenge & retribution out there, but not much of those other two R's that I see right now.

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, but doesn’t that cut right to the chase? That specific POS had 5 separate promotion boards (and 5 separate CO’s) that signed off that he was good to go. That’s the problem — it’s not just a few bad apples, it’s systemic. There are dirtbags among us, and we have not been maintaining standards; that reflects badly on not just the scumbag individuals, but on the institution, and by extension, all of us that wear the suit.
In this case, he kept his deviance hidden in his home until the last minute. If it's not out there for us to see, how do we know? Psychopaths typically don't get caught at the start of their careers.

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
If I was JT I'd fire the MND and CDS. I put Leslie in as MND and a Civil Servant in as CDS. Send a message loud and clear, the BS is over.

Now here's an issue; you suggest JT has the "morale/ethical capital" to be the person deciding things such as this...despite what the recent election results were...

I do not. Any decisions coming from him could be classified as fruit of the poisoned tree....could they not?

Kobayashi Maru?

Happy Guy

Reaction score
Interesting discussion.

Full disclosure.
I worked for the Gen Vance when he was the COS at LFCA. I am acquainted with the Maj Brennan (she lived in my neighbourhood).
I worked with MGen Dawe when he was a Maj a long time ago. He was a typical Inf Offr in terms of knowledge, bravado but also highly intelligent.
I worked with MGen Fortin's staff when he was with 1 Cdn Div. Highly respected.
I have received counselling and support for PTSD.
I am a qualified Harassment Advisor and Harassment Investigator.

My opinions.

Gen Vance. highly respected and professional soldier. Showed poor judgment in his sexual affair with a junior Officer. Let the civilian investigators and courts decide his fate.

Adm McDonald. I'm surprised that the Federal Gov't didn't paint him as a perpetrator like they normally do. He is not likely to come back as the CDS. He is not a Liberal PM who can get away with things that normal people cannot do. He is most likely not to come back due to being tainted by public perception. Unfortunate for the CAF.

MGen Dawe. I sympathize with MGen Dawe's plight but his letter showed poor judgment. Over the past decade and more, all of us who served, have served have received in some form or another training / briefings on sexual harassment, ethics, PTSD and leadership. Any qualified mental health professional will tell you that suffering from PTSD doesn't give you the excuse to commit sexual assault or commit crimes. MGen Dawe should have known this while writing the letter and so should have the Regiment. All sympathies and support should have been given to the victims. The CAF and the Regiment f@#K up on this. I do believe in second chances and perhaps given another time and different circumstances he should be given a second chance, but not in this case. The institution is in trouble and MGen Dawe should retire to preserve it.

MGen Fortin. Not sure of the case or details. All victims of sexual assault face years of suffering. What we may consider trivial is not in the eyes of victim. Let the judicial system do its thing. Let us remember that there is a victim here - be it is Fortin or the alleged sexual assault victim. I do feel that MGen Fortin has been tried and convicted by the general public based upon the actions of the Federal Gov't. Like VAdm Norman he isn't likely to come back which is great loss to the CAF, if he is indeed innocent.

Senior Officer (Col/Capt(N) and GO/FOs) and Senior NCOs (CWOs/CPO1s) are simply not allowed to make such lapses in judgment (minor or major)with respect to anything related to sexual harassment, violence in civil society or gross breaches in conduct or violations in societal norms.
We are witnessing now the institution is now in danger because of it. The political system will take the institution to account for itself, although the political institution itself is in dire morale shape too, but at least we can vote out them out.

The issue that society expects, and quite rightly so, great things from us, and we (those who served, have served, or supported) should step up to the plate and deliver.

Cheers

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score

Minnesota United Soccer GIF by Univision Deportes

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
More pay, not forced to work early or late, paid over time if he chooses to work late, not ordered to "burn" his vacation days when it's convenient to the organization, not posted and forced to sell his home or live away from his family, probably a union to protect him, doesn't risk a fine in the hundreds of dollars if he's late for work. Nice score lol

So who's turn is it this time to apologize? Better come with a promise to do better!

KevinB

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
If I was JT I'd fire the MND and CDS. I put Leslie in as MND and a Civil Servant in as CDS. Send a message loud and clear, the BS is over.

To jump back to this -- JT is the problem...

I mean he a pretty good role model - if you want to have predators, fraud, etc...

Humphrey Bogart

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
More pay, not forced to work early or late, paid over time if he chooses to work late, not ordered to "burn" his vacation days when it's convenient to the organization, not posted and forced to sell his home or live away from his family, probably a union to protect him, doesn't risk a fine in the hundreds of dollars if he's late for work. Nice score lol

So who's turn is it this time to apologize? Better come with a promise to do better!

The thing that real irks me about this is the leadership have asked a lot of rank and file NCOs and Officers at the Coal Face, especially over the past year or so.

The expectations are high but those same members also have expectations of their leadership. Those expectations are quite frankly, not being met, and this is EXHIBIT A!

MJP

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Strong suspicion a S1/Cpl wouldn't have been granted that Voluntary Release with a 5F pending, especially now. The nepotism is real.
It happens more than folks think it should as the lack of understanding of our admin system is rife throughout the CAF. The funny part is is isn't in the AR DAOD but is in the DMCA 2 AR messages that COs are not to release pers under AR w/o consulting with DMCA first.

That said our AR processes are overly long and drawn out with too much leeway given to the mbr. We need to get beter and faster at saying good bye to people and stop trying to save everyone when they mess up

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
To jump back to this -- JT is the problem...

I mean he a pretty good role model - if you want to have predators, fraud, etc...
JT is the issue here. Playing politics over real life issues, then blaming everyone else for his failings. Harry S Truman had a sign on his desk "the buck stops here" that signified he was responsible for every decision made by the US government.
The thing that real irks me about this is the leadership have asked a lot of rank and file NCOs and Officers at the Coal Face, especially over the past year or so.

The expectations are high but those same members also have expectations of their leadership. Those expectations are quite frankly, not being met, and this is EXHIBIT A!
I tend to agree BUT I reckon there are still many officers of the rank of Colonel or higher that still behave in an ethical and above board manner.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score

Or better. If my googling is correct he was RMC class of 98, meaning he probably starting accruing pensionable service in 1994. Meaning he’s probably pulling $70k a year unreduced pension plus whatever he’s making now.

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Or better. If my googling is correct he was RMC class of 98, meaning he probably starting accruing pensionable service in 1994. Meaning he’s probably pulling $70k a year unreduced pension plus whatever he’s making now.
So someone broke the rules and allowed his Release to avoid a 5F so he could keep his pension? My eyes of suspicion go straight to his boss at this point, and I would go and correct this.