• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Misconduct Allegations in The CAF

Mills Bomb

Reaction score
I suppose at this point if the CAF is going to progress into the future (Procurement, etc.) and get a MND it deserves, it will be determined in the next election.

I've pondered several times since the Fortin incident if it's even worth anyone attempting to work up to the top of the CAF at this point? It would seem at any point someone could bring up an "allegation" from 30+ years ago, and you're done and canned in the most public fashion, regardless of how important your roll is. It would be interesting to know what the other senior officers are thinking right now and how on edge they must be. I think it's safe to say that anyone who's been in the CAF for 30+ years is very likely at risk of doing some minor thing that could now get them fired and humiliated?

Remaining optimistic but this has been an interesting year for sure.

YZT580

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Great way for finance to reduce pension costs. Get 30 years out of 'em then "thanks for that don't let the door hit you on the way out"

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
At this point I would appoint someone from the senate defense committee to be MND, that committee has spent a long time and written many reports on the forces that have never been acted on but make sense. Someone with experience navigating the department but knows the issues would do us well.

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
At this point I would appoint someone from the senate defense committee to be MND, that committee has spent a long time and written many reports on the forces that have never been acted on but make sense. Someone with experience navigating the department but knows the issues would do us well.
It doesn’t matter who MND is they will be on a very short leash and replaced at the whim of a young spoilt brat who happens to be the PM,

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
It doesn’t matter who MND is they will be on a very short leash and replaced at the whim of a young spoilt brat who happens to be the PM,
Demoting Sajjan might hurt his re-election chances unless the PM 'forgave' him before the writ was dropped. His riding of Vancouver South was created in 2004 and has been held by the Liberals since, except for one term from 2011- 2015 when it went CPC.

Ostrozac

Reaction score
Are you suggesting the committee member with the highest public profile? A man with over a decade of experience as a Senator? A man likely to be completely consistent with the ethical standards of Cabinet? Unfortunately for that plan, Mike Duffy reaches compulsory retirement age and will be removed from the Senate later this week.

blacktriangle

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Solid!

He knows how to shoot his hand across a reporter's rump. A real fire-and-forget kinda guy.
Definitely hard to have accountability at the top, when the very top is potentially guilty of the same or similar behaviour. Especially when they don't show the smallest bit of remorse, empathy, anything really. Just denial.

Sad.

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Definitely hard to have accountability at the top, when the very top is potentially guilty of the same or similar behaviour. Especially when they don't show the smallest bit of remorse, empathy, anything really. Just denial.

Sad.
He is the son of PET who was in some people’s eyes was the Son of God. He’s entitled and spoilt by a fawning bunch of synchophants.

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Solid!

He knows how to shoot his hand across a reporter's rump. A real fire-and-forget kinda guy.
I was going to say, he knows how to shoot himself in the foot 😅

Buuuttttt... late to the party and your quip was better

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
I know it’s trendy to slam Trudeau and all these days, but the reality is this. As long as this guy is his opponent, he’s well on his way.
I obviously can’t speak for others, but my OWN approach is — and forgive me, this will sound like caveman talk. But...

good ideas are good. We should explore and pursue them.

bad ideas are bad. We should not pursue these, especially if there are some clear alternatives.

I look at ideas or suggestions, and gauge for myself whether they make sense to me, seem like they would have a positive or negative impact on a situation, and base my support for ideas on the merit of the idea itself

I don’t care what colour of tie someone wears, or what banner they are under.

As for what you stated about O’Toole, I couldn’t agree more.

The conservatives seemed to have picked the most forgettable, least vocal candidate to lead them into the next election. (My own opinion.) I casually follow politics, and stay pretty frequent on current affairs — and I could barely describe what he looks like. (Not good when he wants people to vote for him...)

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Back on topic, the million dollar question here is what is the way forward?

We already have a pretty substantial change in senior CAF leadership, but what about the department? What power should the ombudsman have? And how much power should an independent investigation arm have? Just investigation or charges and referral to courts?