• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Misconduct Allegations in The CAF

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Re: the dwindling supply of GOFOs.
I’m wondering if we’ll see this crisis burn itself out over time. I know that my kids (now in their late 20’s) have a much different mindset than I was at their age. The are far more accepting of the alphabet soup of alternate lifestyle and have no problem calling out racism, sexism and sexual misconduct.
Maybe our current crop/generation of GOFOs just need to fade away and let the next generation take over. This would also be a good way to take care of the bloat at our higher HQs.

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I’m wondering if we’ll see this crisis burn itself out over time. I know that my kids (now in their late 20’s) have a much different mindset than I was at their age. The are far more accepting of the alphabet soup of alternate lifestyle and have no problem calling out racism, sexism and sexual misconduct.
Maybe our current crop/generation of GOFOs just need to fade away and let the next generation take over. This would also be a good way to take care of the bloat at our higher HQs.
Your correct in that assessment.

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Re: the dwindling supply of GOFOs.

The only way to eliminate a bloat (is this now the collective noun for generals?) is to destroy the nest. An example of their unchecked spread would be the three (3) general officers sent to the PHAC for the vaccine op. While only one remains, two having been punted back; "secondment" permits the CAF to not carry them against the authorized number of GOFOs and to promote into the vacant positions they held before going to another department for what should have been a temporary assignment. At least one of the three triggered the GOFO promotion cascade and maybe had a secondary effect of filling the position that (if the world was normal) an otherwise already existing, but now jobless MGen could have filled. I haven't found any reference to the two BGens that accompanied Fortin to the PHAC or whether anyone was promoted (even A/WSE) into their previous positions.

CANFORGEN 022/21 PROMOTIONS AND SENIOR APPOINTMENTS 2021 – GENERAL AND FLAG OFFICERS

4. MAJOR-GENERAL D. FORTIN WAS SECONDED TO PUBLIC HEALTH AGENCY OF CANADA, IN OTTAWA, RESULTING IN THE FOLLOWING PROMOTIONS AND APPOINTMENTS:
(1) BRIGADIER-GENERAL I.S. HUDDLESTON WILL BE PROMOTED MAJOR-GENERAL AND APPOINTED CHIEF OF STAFF, CANADIAN JOINT OPERATIONS COMMAND, IN OTTAWA, REPLACING MAJOR-GENERAL D. FORTIN
(2) COLONEL J.J. ALEXANDER WILL BE PROMOTED BRIGADIER-GENERAL AND APPOINTED DIRECTOR GENERAL AIR READINESS, IN OTTAWA, REPLACING BRIGADIER-GENERAL I.S. HUDDLESTON

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
The only way to eliminate a bloat (is this now the collective noun for generals?) is to destroy the nest. An example of their unchecked spread would be the three (3) general officers sent to the PHAC for the vaccine op. While only one remains, two having been punted back; "secondment" permits the CAF to not carry them against the authorized number of GOFOs and to promote into the vacant positions they held before going to another department for what should have been a temporary assignment. At least one of the three triggered the GOFO promotion cascade and maybe had a secondary effect of filling the position that (if the world was normal) an otherwise already existing, but now jobless MGen could have filled. I haven't found any reference to the two BGens that accompanied Fortin to the PHAC or whether anyone was promoted (even A/WSE) into their previous positions.

We might try applying the 'Yes man' filter as a way to screen the wheat from the chaff, all the way down the line. Then stream the right kind of people through :)

"A ‘Yes man’ is a dangerous man. He is a menace. He will go very far. He can become a minister, a secretary, or a Field Marshall but he can never become a leader nor ever be respected.

He will be used by his superiors, disliked by his colleagues, and despised by his subordinates.

So discard the ‘Yes man’".

- Sam ‘Bahadur’ Manekshaw

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Apparently the CDS (suspended) sent a note to other GOFOs, explaining that he's been exonerated and should be immediately reinstated.

The CDS (acting) is unamused.

I find retired general Mike Day to have his headspace aligned with A/CDS Eyre; his take on this is worth reading as well.

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
DMD’s solid on this one, for sure.

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
It is not entirely clear to me why the Government has prolonged this situation.

Just tell Admiral McDonald he is retired. No need to give a reason.
Shows how low on the priority list it is, but I mean it's been sometime after the election now and we still don't have a new cabinet or a date for parliament to resume

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
Apparently the CDS (suspended) sent a note to other GOFOs, explaining that he's been exonerated and should be immediately reinstated.

The CDS (acting) is unamused.

I find retired general Mike Day to have his headspace aligned with A/CDS Eyre; his take on this is worth reading as well.

I think the Navy have a word for that, don't they? :)

Episode 18 Ship GIF by The Simpsons