• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Misconduct Allegations in The CAF

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
And will this be the last straw? Summer cabinet shuffle before the election?
My guess is that the writ will drop first, thus protecting Sajjan's prestige within his riding as MND going into the campaign.

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I have less tolerance for a REO process that does not vet candidates. A simple set of phone calls would have likely turned up some concerns.
This is not the first REO process that was conducted in an open and transparent fashion that hired a targeted candidate, nor will it be the last.

Phone calls may have been made and concerns brought to light which were overruled by the hiring authority.

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
This is not the first REO process that was conducted in an open and transparent fashion that hired a targeted candidate, nor will it be the last.

Phone calls may have been made and concerns brought to light which were overruled by the hiring authority.
Yeah, I get that, and have seen it, but.................if they were, there should be a record somewhere.

I'm watching the Habs/Vegas game right now, so my attention is somewhat distracted.

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I mean, a former CDS might have used this technique to drag a PRes mistress around the country so it must be un-gameable.

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I mean, a former CDS might have used this technique to drag a PRes mistress around the country so it must be un-gameable.
I would suggest that a former CDS is perhaps regretting, if it indeed is what he did, gaming the REO system.

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
If someone is fired for misconduct or sanctioned by a professional body for misconduct, I think that should be relevant to the CAF regardless of it happening outside. It's not the only example I have seen of full-time employment being handed to a reservist who had lost a police job for conduct. It kinda creates the image that we are okay with that sort of behaviour.
Absolutely.

I’ve had some time now to sit and read up on things. Totally agree.

Full time employment shouldn’t be given to someone as a ‘safety favour’ if they are suspended or dismissed from other employment - especially if due to the same behaviour we so strongly are supposed to be against.

Reading up on the details and posts now about this. Was a busy day at work earlier, had just skimmed. Totally agree with your point.

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
The MND office gave the assistant the ol GG level of vetting.

Speaking of which, interesting charge in 2006.

Brad Sallows

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
it’s like there’s some “Old Boys” network of VPD officers having part-time employment in the BCR

Amusing. One of the thousand and one useless bits of trivia in Mil Area Pacific/11 Brigade/39 CBG was the "connection" between VPD and BCR.

Mills Bomb

Reaction score
So if I'm too understand this correctly, one of Sajjan's assistants who was previously in the same reserve unit and police department as him, entered a relationship with a female subordinate, who was mentally struggling, and she ultimately ended up tragically committing suicide, the officer was released from the force, and Sajjan had no idea any of this happened and it's all just a huge coincidence?

Brad Sallows

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Of course. No-one in the Res F gossips about people they know, so how could anyone be aware of such things?

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Of course. No-one in the Res F gossips about people they know, so how could anyone be aware of such things?
In a platoon sized unit called a Regiment, no way you wouldn't know what's going on, especially the officers, they are usually pretty close. I don't guy this for a second

Brad Sallows

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Some regiments actually can put enough bodies on the ground to look like 2 companies on parade. But, yes, the officers and NCOs messes are still pretty small.

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe some review of a timeline might be in order

From the article previously linked.
Media reports last year say McCullough was given a 15-day suspension in 2018 following an external investigation that found he failed to disclose a relationship with Const. Nicole Chan, and entered into the relationship despite knowing she was in a vulnerable state.

The 2018-19 OPCC annual report does not name McCullough, but did call for a five-day suspension for a police officer who "was in a personal, intimate relationship with a police officer who was under his direct supervision" and "failed to disclose this relationship with his supervisor."

The OPCC also called for 10-day suspension for the same officer for having "entered into the relationship with another police officer with the knowledge that the police officer was in a vulnerable state, mentally and emotionally."

The commission said the suspensions could be served concurrently.

It went on to note the first officer had since retired and "co-operated fully in the investigation and participated in all relevant processes. The police officer sought professional help in understanding his actions and wrote an apology to the other police officer."

McCullough retired from the Vancouver police in 2018, according to media reports.

Detective Sajjan resigns from the Vancouver Police after 11 years service in 2010
LCol Sajjan assumes command of the BCR in 2011
Mr Sajjan is elected to Parliament in 2015
LCol Sajjan retires from the CAF in conjunction with his appointment as MND in 2015
Police Sergeant McCullough receives a 15 day suspension from the Vancouver Police in 2018
Sergeant McCullough retires from the Vancouver Police 2018
Major McCullough gets two year Class B contract as MA in 2020

So, three years after then LCol Sajjan ceases to be the (part time) CO of Maj McCullough (that is if he was employed in the regt and not ERE) and eight years after they were both employed at the same time by the Vancouver Police disciplinary action was taken against McCullough for being a piece of shit. The disciplinary action was not publicized and unlike legal action (e.g. arrests and criminal court appearances) Maj McCullough was not obligated to inform his military superiors of the suspension imposed on him by his civilian employer or of the reasons why he decided to retire (with pension presumably) from the police at that time. It is possible that police department gossip mongers considered Sergeant McCullough a piece of shit before his inappropriate involvement with one of his constables. It's possible that there was gossip monger overlap in the BCR. It's also possible that McCullough also had an acceptable reputation in the VPD and a similar reputation in the military. It's also possible that Maj McCullough had the benefit of "old boys clubs" (both military and police) who accepted that his behaviour that led to his police suspension was nothing to get worked up about. However, Minister Sajjan wasn't in the POS's immediate chain of chain at the time and hadn't been for three years.

Loachman

Former Army Pilot in Drag
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
That's so boooooooring compared to wild speculation and assumption.

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe some review of a timeline might be in order

From the article previously linked.

Detective Sajjan resigns from the Vancouver Police after 11 years service in 2010
LCol Sajjan assumes command of the BCR in 2011
Mr Sajjan is elected to Parliament in 2015
LCol Sajjan retires from the CAF in conjunction with his appointment as MND in 2015
Police Sergeant McCullough receives a 15 day suspension from the Vancouver Police in 2018
Sergeant McCullough retires from the Vancouver Police 2018
Major McCullough gets two year Class B contract as MA in 2020
No dispute about these items of the timeline.

However, do we have enough intellectual curiosity to look at the BCR timeline a bit earlier?

Sajjan didn’t go from OCdt to LCol overnight in 2011…and McCullogh didn’t go from OCdt to Maj overnight in 2020.

Is no one going to ask the question “Were Sajjan and McCullough ever members of the BCR at the same time?”