• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New D Arty - LCol Bishop

muskrat89

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
4
Points
530
Tim was a friend of mine, we are both from Woodstock, NB and served in the 89th Battery....

On 03 March 2014 LGen J.M.M. Hainse, Comd CA, announced the appointment of the new Director of Artillery effective 17 March 2014, LCol T.J. Bishop.

LCol Bishop replaces Col L.C. Dalton who has served as Director of Artillery since 18 February 2012.

The Royal Regiment extends congratulations to LCol Bishop and great thanks to Col Dalton for his valuable and dedicated service to The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery.  Ubique!

Please pass on to all pers in The Royal Regiment.
 

Good2Golf

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
2,574
Points
1,160
Gunner said:
Tim is very good people.  Good on him.

:nod:

Congrat to him, and congrats to the Branch for getting such a good guy as the Director.  :salute:
 

DAA

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Gunner said:
Tim is very good people.  Good on him.

I do believe I recall working with him when he was a wet behind the ears 2Lt back in the mid 80's.  Mind you, the backs of my ears weren't all that dry either....

Good for him!
 

Tibbson

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
And what purpose does the Director of Artillery serve?  Having not come from an artillery background, although I did do a posting to Shilo, I have no idea what the position involves.  Thanks
 

PPCLI Guy

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Reaction score
479
Points
910
Schindler's Lift said:
And what purpose does the Director of Artillery serve?  Having not come from an artillery background, although I did do a posting to Shilo, I have no idea what the position involves.  Thanks

He is the Army commander's adviser on all things arty, including career management.  he will be the equivalent of a Regimental Colonel.
 

Old Sweat

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Reaction score
57
Points
480
The following item just popped up on the regimental net:

Premier announces deputy ministerial appointment
11 March 2014

Media Contact(s)


Jesse Robichaud, communications, Office of the Premier, 506-453-2144.

FREDERICTON (GNB) – L. Craig Dalton has been appointed deputy minister of Public Safety, effective April 7.

“Craig's education, training and experience with the Canadian Armed Forces will ensure the Department of Public Safety continues to play a leadership role in ensuring public order and community safety,” said Premier David Alward. “I am looking forward to working with him.”

Dalton holds a master of science from Central Michigan University, master of arts from the United States Army School of Advanced Military Studies and a master of arts from Deakin University in Wollongong, Australia. Throughout his military career he has held several prominent positions including base commander of 5th Canadian Division Support Base Gagetown. Dalton has also served as the commander of a provincial reconstruction team while serving in Afghanistan as well as the director of a civil reconstruction and development team while serving in Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Alward thanked outgoing deputy minister, Dale Wilson, for his years of service.

“I thank Dale for his dedication and service to his fellow New Brunswickers,” Alward said. “I am confident that the work he has done and the team he has assembled will continue to make our province a better place.”
 

MedCorps

Sr. Member
Reaction score
20
Points
230
PPCLI Guy said:
He is the Army commander's adviser on all things arty, including career management.  he will be the equivalent of a Regimental Colonel.

Except that the RCA has both a D Arty and Regt Col.  It is my understanding that the RCA Regt Col deal with he heart and mind issues, Regt traditions, regimental senate, HCol's etc and D Arty is the adviser to the CA on technical arty and RCA personnel matters. 

MC
 

muskrat89

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
4
Points
530
From:  http://www.artillery.net/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/RCA-SOs-Vol-I-sm.pdf


THE DIRECTOR OF ARTILLERY

1. Throughout the history of The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, there has normally been a
senior serving artillery officer appointed and made responsible to provide direction to The Regiment. The
duties have varied, as have the titles, whether Inspector of Artillery, Officer Administering the Royal
Canadian Artillery or the present-day Director of Artillery.

2. Branch Advisor - The Director of Artillery is the focal point for Artillery Branch identity, and
provides essential input into the maintenance of the “good health” of all Artillery MOSIDs (Military
Occupational Structure Identification). The Director identifies problems, prepares position papers, and
can report directly to the Chief of the Land Staff on matters related to professional standards, career
patterns, trade specifications and structures, force development, force employment, training and doctrine.

3. The Director of Artillery, while having overall responsibility for the Artillery Branch, is primarily
focused on the operational aspects of The RCA Family Strategy. To assist the Director, the Regimental
Colonel will manage the non-operational aspects of the Family Strategy.

and

REGIMENTAL COLONEL

1. The Regimental Colonel’s primary responsibility is to provide leadership for Lines of Operation 3
to 5 of The RCA Family Strategy while recognizing that the Director of Artillery remains primus inter
pares, and is the primary interlocutor with the Land Staff. In exercising his functions, the Regimental
Colonel is responsible to Artillery Senate, is responsive to the Colonel Commandant, and coordinates his
efforts with those of the Director and the Royal Canadian Artillery Association. Given the nature of Lines
of Operations 3 to 5 issues, the Regimental Colonel should also be mindful of the support stakeholders
such as Honoraries, retired members and others can bring to bear in advancing these issues.
 

DAA

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
MedCorps said:
Except that the RCA has both a D Arty and Regt Col.  It is my understanding that the RCA Regt Col deal with he heart and mind issues, Regt traditions, regimental senate, HCol's etc and D Arty is the adviser to the CA on technical arty and RCA personnel matters. 

MC

And the Infantry will have a D Inf and HCol and the Armoured Corp will have a D Armd and HCol, etc, etc.

I think muskrat89 pretty much puts the responsibilities into perspective.
 

DAA

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
muskrat89 said:
Tim was a friend of mine, we are both from Woodstock, NB and served in the 89th Battery....

On 03 March 2014 LGen J.M.M. Hainse, Comd CA, announced the appointment of the new Director of Artillery effective 17 March 2014, LCol T.J. Bishop.

LCol Bishop replaces Col L.C. Dalton who has served as Director of Artillery since 18 February 2012.

The Royal Regiment extends congratulations to LCol Bishop and great thanks to Col Dalton for his valuable and dedicated service to The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery.  Ubique!

Please pass on to all pers in The Royal Regiment.

Wow, that was a very short lived stint or so I think.

Managed to catch up on CANFORGENS and if it is the same person, he's now promoted to Col and will be the new Deputy Commander CF Recruiting Group.
 
Top