• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Editorial Opinion

Journeyman

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
1,110
Points
940
Posted here and not with the Politics cartoons, because:

a) apparently comments cannot be made in the cartoon tread;

b) I believe discussion is required, as Canadian and especially US News is increasingly "WTF."

515.jpg


While dated, it covers the politicization of current news services perfectly.  Less and less can one find objective, informative news;  it's all about unabashedly biased cheerleading for 'your team.'  If anyone wants that, or needs talking points handed to them without having to think through events, there is no shortage of alt-left and alt-right sources out there.

Increasingly, if I want news about the US (and to a much lesser extent Canada, because most of the world simply doesn't care about us), I will turn to BBC and Al Jazeera first.

Now, while this is currently an irritant, I suspect that there will be a greater knock-on effect in that no one trusting the media lets governments, businesses, etc off the hook from valid and informed public scrutiny as society is increasingly dumbed down.  There's obviously no shortage of this happening here within the many, often locked 'discussions' on Trump/Obama, Trudeau/Harper, etc....with all the name-calling of politicians and posters, with a glaring absence of actual informed conversation.

I fear that the recent demands for "a free and honest press" are likely too late, as the political & media rhetoric is becoming increasingly globalized with more politicians and news outlets saying 'hey, it works there...'


Of course YMMV, but I fear our society is f**ked.    :2c:


 

Lumber

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
177
Points
680
The Wallstreet Journal is pretty good to, IMO.

I still regular go to Fox News, purely for it's entertainment value.
 

Good2Golf

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
8,324
Points
1,360
Lumber said:
The Wallstreet Journal is pretty good to, IMO.

The Economist isn't bad, and over its editorial history has fairly equitably supported both Republicans and Democrats of the day.
 

Journeyman

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
1,110
Points
940
Oh, there are no shortages of useful information sources;  IAW the meme, Fox, CNN, and MSNBC just happen to be the worst offenders at pandering to the lowest common denominator.
 

garb811

Army.ca Veteran
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
9
Points
530
I firmly believe this is a topic worthy of discussion, it cuts to a number of issues that we are seeing debated today.

In order for the conversation to be productive, it needs to be held to the same standards with regard to the various news agencies as we are holding posters to with regard to public figures in the political threads.

Thanks in advance.

- milnet.ca Staff
 

Brad Sallows

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
3,190
Points
1,010
I'm unaware of any point in my lifetime when a print or video news agency didn't have an editorial bias.  But.

Firstly, a hypothesis I have advanced here before: the increasing polarization and escalation of distasteful tactics is a consequence of the increasing size of the "prize" (power and scope of government).  Regulations and programs grow and only rarely shrink with each succeeding legislative term.

Once again, Polarization in American politics (Pew Research Center).  (Illustrates "what" - degree of polarization - but not "why".)

Secondly: in the internet era, the media are no longer gatekeepers and consequently can not shape public opinion as they were accustomed to.  They can not rely on time to blur memories and "disappear" evidence and views they'd rather not see refreshed because almost everything written prior can be (and is) easily referenced in any particular debate.  They can't easily move the Overton Window.  So they are frustrated; so they start taking short-cuts and resorting to unethical practices to make their points.

I don't know whether we should chiefly fault media or politicians.  It's clear that increasingly the media actively play offence/defence - incendiary headlines (often imposed by someone other than the article writer); burying inconvenient facts deep in an article or omitting them altogether (favourite example: blaming imminent inundation on sea level rise on the order of 2-3 mm per year, and later in the article commenting almost in passing on land subsidence on the order of several cm per year due to poor water table management); "talking-points journalism" masquerading as "explanatory journalism" ("All You Need to Know About X"; "X, Explained"; "The 10 Most Important Things About X"; etc).

On a handful of important issues, media have damaged their credibility by resorting to the "fake-but-accurate" defence.

But there is also the political manoeuvring to "sell" policies and legislation.  The deceptions and deals to pass the PPACA in the US were ugly, as were the press manipulations supporting the Iran deal.  Then later a couple of the principals admitted to relying on the gullibility of the public and the press.  I think Ben Rhodes's bragging about press manipulation did more damage to the institution than any number of Trump's ham-fisted insults/attacks.  A few times, journalists were caught soliciting the approval of political operatives prior to publishing: more damage to credibility.

The Society of Professional Journalists (US) has a Code of Ethics.  Journalists would have to start by strongly following the Code to reassert their usefulness.  They can not only be 90% or 95% compliant: "Your denial of the importance of objectivity amounts to announcing your intention to lie to us. No-one should believe anything you say." - John McCarthy.
 

FJAG

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
4,700
Points
1,040
I think to call this a media issue in the general sense is wrong.

There has been a split within the media-often within a single company-of presenting either hard news, opinion pieces (called opinion-tainment) or a combination of the two.

I find that I can still get good hard news from such US sources as ABC News and CBS News and even CNN. Fox and MNBC muddy the water entirely too much and it's harder to glean facts from the mush.

I'm not sure if the press was ever pure. When you read articles from the Revolutionary War or the Civil War you find things that will make you cringe with how inaccurate, partisan and highly loaded with misinformation they were.

There has always been and always will be a need for readers to use common sense when reading a news article. While there has been a gatekeeping function in the past to keep the press honest through the National NewsMedia Council in Canada and the FCC for broadcast journalism, those agencies are weak and have no jurisdiction over much of what passes for journalism or opinion pieces these days.

Trouble is that teaching healthy skepticism isn't one of the subjects taught to our children in school (and I sometimes wonder if it should be because it would probably lead to even more conspiracy theorists)

Hate to bring up an old bug-bear of mine but I think religion plays a large part in creating the polarizing differences between us and the tendency to believe opinion pieces that have little basis in fact or reality. When one unhesitatingly accepts "faith" in a dogma that cannot be logically proven (and often has considerable evidence to disprove it) then one becomes susceptible to other ideas, regardless of how logical or illogical they are, as long as they are disseminated by a "trusted" source.

These last few decades have created an explosion of media channels that are unregulated, ill informed and sometimes destructive (Goop or Kardashians anyone?). We'll never get the genie back in the lamp. It's a massive flaw within the concept of democracy as we know it. At best we can try to restrict outside influences but we'll never be able to bring back a feeling of unity unless we are faced with an external threat so massive that everyone can agree to oppose it. Apparently Russians hacking your political parties and causing mass misinformation campaigns isn't a big enough problem.

:pop:
 

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
863
Points
960
I don't think that bias is as much the problem. I think that the real problem is that many of the major players attempt to wrap themselves in the cloak of impartiality, when nothing could be further from the truth. People can accept bias when it's stated up front, but once trust is lost, it's generally lost forever. This is were the MSM is losing their way.
 

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
11,362
Points
1,160
That's exactly why my idea of intellectual luxury these days is reading the Economist on my back deck, with a good Real Ale in hand :) #camrakarma
 

Infanteer

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Donor
Reaction score
4,080
Points
1,160
http://www.adfontesmedia.com/media-bias-chart-3-1-minor-updates-based-constructive-feedback/

I always found this chart somewhat useful.
 

FJAG

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
4,700
Points
1,040
Infanteer said:
http://www.adfontesmedia.com/media-bias-chart-3-1-minor-updates-based-constructive-feedback/

I always found this chart somewhat useful.

That's an excellent chart.

:cheers:
 

RocketRichard

Sr. Member
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
210
daftandbarmy said:
That's exactly why my idea of intellectual luxury these days is reading the Economist on my back deck, with a good Real Ale in hand :) #camrakarma
This, we agree on as I just did this exact thing on the weekend.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

Xylric

Member
Reaction score
3
Points
230
FJAG said:
I think to call this a media issue in the general sense is wrong.

There has been a split within the media-often within a single company-of presenting either hard news, opinion pieces (called opinion-tainment) or a combination of the two.

I find that I can still get good hard news from such US sources as ABC News and CBS News and even CNN. Fox and MNBC muddy the water entirely too much and it's harder to glean facts from the mush.

I'm not sure if the press was ever pure. When you read articles from the Revolutionary War or the Civil War you find things that will make you cringe with how inaccurate, partisan and highly loaded with misinformation they were.

There has always been and always will be a need for readers to use common sense when reading a news article. While there has been a gatekeeping function in the past to keep the press honest through the National NewsMedia Council in Canada and the FCC for broadcast journalism, those agencies are weak and have no jurisdiction over much of what passes for journalism or opinion pieces these days.

Trouble is that teaching healthy skepticism isn't one of the subjects taught to our children in school (and I sometimes wonder if it should be because it would probably lead to even more conspiracy theorists)

Hate to bring up an old bug-bear of mine but I think religion plays a large part in creating the polarizing differences between us and the tendency to believe opinion pieces that have little basis in fact or reality. When one unhesitatingly accepts "faith" in a dogma that cannot be logically proven (and often has considerable evidence to disprove it) then one becomes susceptible to other ideas, regardless of how logical or illogical they are, as long as they are disseminated by a "trusted" source.

These last few decades have created an explosion of media channels that are unregulated, ill informed and sometimes destructive (Goop or Kardashians anyone?). We'll never get the genie back in the lamp. It's a massive flaw within the concept of democracy as we know it. At best we can try to restrict outside influences but we'll never be able to bring back a feeling of unity unless we are faced with an external threat so massive that everyone can agree to oppose it. Apparently Russians hacking your political parties and causing mass misinformation campaigns isn't a big enough problem.

:pop:

It's interesting to me that while I have substantial ground to quibble with you over the definition, consequences, and function of religion, you are not entirely wrong about it being inherently polarizing. After all, one of the earliest functions of religious belief (going back to the pre-Abrahamic traditions) was to foster a communal sense of identity and purpose. One could argue that what we now call identity politics is a mutation of something we've had with us since before we learned how to make pottery.

I agree that there are a number of good hard news sources remaining in the US, but I find that it's still beneficial to pay attention to the more biased sources. If you do not know how those you disagree with understand the same events, you quickly lose track of many other things about them. There's a reason why when I pay attention to political commentary, I'm very careful to maintain a 2:1 ration in favour of the perspectives I disagree with. Interestingly enough, who falls on what side depends on the particular subject, as it should be.

YouTube has created a tremendous change in the observed rules of this theatre, but it certainly doesn't take away from the need for both healthy skepticism and rhetoric in schools. I"m horrified to realize that what I learned about persuasive communication in high school was not at all accurate when compared to what I learned in college. There are five generations of teachers in my family, and having looked at what my great-grandmother taught her student 80 years ago, there is absolutely no question in my mind that we've stripped away far too much of what students truly need to know.

A joke from my marketing program was that the reason why advertising exploded across every form in media after WWII was that everyone who worked in psychological warfare would've been out of a job otherwise. I don't rightly know how true that is, but it's uncomfortably reasonable.
 

kkwd

Sr. Member
Reaction score
43
Points
460
People are not being "dumbed down" by their news outlet of choice. But they are becoming more intolerant. There is more than one way to look at things, there is no absolute black and white.
 

Journeyman

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
1,110
Points
940
kkwd said:
People are not being "dumbed down" by their news outlet of choice.
Look at the chart provided by Infanteer;  Fox 'News' falls into the rectangle labelled "nonsense damaging to public discourse."  If Fox is someone's only, or even primary, source of news, how can it not be dumbing?
 

Brad Sallows

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
3,190
Points
1,010
The chart is not authoritative, and disproves its own reliability.  It shows Daily Kos "above" Fox News, which is absurd.  Media bias estimates, like "fact checks", should be taken with a large grain of salt.

Using the Pew survey results I linked earlier, you can apply your own judgement/correction to the chart.

1) The survey shows an increase over time in the polarization gap between the median Democrat frame of reference ("D") and the median Republican frame of reference ("R").

2) The evaluation of "neutral" depends on frame of reference, and one of the frames has a much greater "velocity".  From D, it looks like Republicans are becoming more extreme.  From R, it looks like Democrats are becoming more extreme.  From the survey animation, it is clear that the net shift is overwhelmingly due to the movement of D leftward.  Furthermore, if Republicans (conservatives) were truly becoming more extreme (commonly cited myth among left-leaners), it prompts the question "compared to what/when"?  Are Republicans more conservative now than during the Reagan era?  The Eisenhower era?  Common sense suggests that on a host of issues (tolerance of divorce, acceptance of single parent and other non-traditional families, acceptance of homosexuals open in public life, tolerance of other cultures, publicly-funded health insurance/care, etc), conservatives are also moving leftward over the long term.

3) X-axis: The chart's x-axis assignments are not static.  Because of the increasing polarization gap, an information source anchored to the political centre would, over time, be perceived as rightward drifting seen from D, and leftward drifting seen from R.  If complaints about the perceived bias of a source are one-sided, it suggests the source is moving along with whichever frame (D or R) tends to think the source is "neutral".  NPR, WaPo, NYT, and Guardian are examples of sources which have long been accused by the right of left-leaning bias which should properly have them positioned well into the "skews liberal" zone.  The handful of times I have read of an organization like NYT being accused of leaning right, it has been from someone occupying a position well to the political left (way out past Sanders Democrats).

4) Y-Axis: The categories rated as "Complex Analysis" or "Analysis" deserve to be positioned above "Fact Reporting" and "Original Fact Reporting".  Analysis - even partisan analysis - is more accurate (more time to assess events and sift evidence; more deliberative and less reactive to immediate events).  Importantly, the writers for "analysis" organizations spend a fair amount of time responding to each other, highlighting errors and omissions.  I don't find the wire services and major "fact" media all that reliable when it comes to accurately reporting "facts", and most act as information gatekeepers, which militates against their being slotted in the "neutral" column.  (You can see it when organizations on one "side" are seized with an issue of the day, and barely a peep emits from organizations on the other "side".)  Broadcast media convey almost no useful information at all in the time available; I find them to be a waste of time. 

YMMV.
 

Fishbone Jones

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
943
Points
1,060
Journeyman said:
Look at the chart provided by Infanteer;  Fox 'News' falls into the rectangle labelled "nonsense damaging to public discourse."  If Fox is someone's only, or even primary, source of news, how can it not be dumbing?

I believed the chart was flawed, but Brad layed it out. So if one is basing their opinion on flawed data, does that not make the opinion flawed also?

Asking for a friend. ;)
 

Good2Golf

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
8,324
Points
1,360
recceguy said:
I believed the chart was flawed, but Brad layed it out. So if one is basing their opinion on flawed data, does that not make the opinion flawed also?

Asking for a friend. ;)

No. 

It makes it...well, still an opinion.  After all, an opinion is "A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge." (Ref: Oxford Dictionary - 'Opinion')
 

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
3,825
Points
1,160
There are several factors affecting journalism, the loss of ad revenue drive most of them. Small staff, meaning less research, the loss of inhouse archives, shorter deadlines. Individuals not comprehending that they have a bias and a general drifting to the left of centre by most news staff. This is a major issue, not so much the bias, but the inability to comprehend that it exists, yet a belief they are being impartial. That drives the loss of respect and trust. Fox is generally aware they are right of centre and don't hide it, making them a bit higher on the honesty scale, they to suffer from structural issues as well. Part of the problem today is not finding information, but being able to shift through all of it in time to meet the deadline and be able to detect misinformation. Even a diligent reporter holds little sway over their editor, who can change the thrust of an article to fit space available and make it more marketable. At the end of the day, media is a business and bringing in revenue is the primary goal.
 
Top