• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Better roles for the CH-149

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
Kind of like how we also own the entire world supply of 14 Cormorants 😏

We give special a whole new meaning, don't we?

Yes, yes we do....

1625775512183.png

Rifleman62

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score

Enjoy This Walkaround Tour Of The New HH-60W Jolly Green II Combat Rescue Helicopter - 10 Jul 21​

Could be used as a SAR?

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score

Enjoy This Walkaround Tour Of The New HH-60W Jolly Green II Combat Rescue Helicopter - 10 Jul 21​

Could be used as a SAR?
Sure, but that's overkill for Canada as we don't have a Combat SAR capability. Our SAR Techs are domestic only.

I'm also surprised that they "just" have an MX-10 camera. I would have thought they'd have at least an MX-15 (which is what our Griffons have).

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
…or ‘underkill’ for a domestic National SAR helicopter for a massive country/AOR, if you’re thinking of outright replacing the CH-149. There was a solid group of reasons why the ‘MapleHawk’ wasn’t selected for CSH back in the 90s…this is lipstick on the old UH-60A based HH-60G. I kind of chuckled a bit hearing it called a Jolly Green II…I know a ‘Nam-era HH-3 bubba who shook his head when the 60W name was announced…

TB

Reaction score
Sure, but that's overkill for Canada as we don't have a Combat SAR capability. Our SAR Techs are domestic only.

I'm also surprised that they "just" have an MX-10 camera. I would have thought they'd have at least an MX-15 (which is what our Griffons have).
Maybe based on weight restriction. New gen MX-10 are 10x better than older gen MX-15. Used one with WPS helo and I was impressed.

LoboCanada

Reaction score
We should just jump into the UK New Medium Helicopter project. Project is to replace Bell 212, 412 and their Dauphins. Jump into it now and in 10-15yrs you could start replacing the Cormorants and Griffons.

I think Airbus and Bell have considerable presence here for existing aircraft and offer their own - new - aircraft.

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
…or ‘underkill’ for a domestic National SAR helicopter for a massive country/AOR, if you’re thinking of outright replacing the CH-149. There was a solid group of reasons why the ‘MapleHawk’ wasn’t selected for CSH back in the 90s…this is lipstick on the old UH-60A based HH-60G. I kind of chuckled a bit hearing it called a Jolly Green II…I know a ‘Nam-era HH-3 bubba who shook his head when the 60W name was announced…
Go big or go home Sikorsky CH-53K King Stallion - Wikipedia