• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
Very real possibility that it's a matter of elderly people with two shots but no booster getting sick, and being at greater medical risk that younger unvaccinated people. If Scotland's anything like us, they would have near total uptake of vaccinations in the elderly, however that's still an at risk population that has a much higher rate of comorbidities. Your mid-40s antivaxer still has decent odds on a case by case basis. It would be interesting to see age-cohorted data. I suspect the elderly are most risk-conscious, and that very few of them are unvaccinated.

kev994

Reaction score
Very real possibility that it's a matter of elderly people with two shots but no booster getting sick, and being at greater medical risk that younger unvaccinated people. If Scotland's anything like us, they would have near total uptake of vaccinations in the elderly, however that's still an at risk population that has a much higher rate of comorbidities. Your mid-40s antivaxer still has decent odds on a case by case basis. It would be interesting to see age-cohorted data. I suspect the elderly are most risk-conscious, and that very few of them are unvaccinated.
That falls within my pre-conceived notions 😁

QV

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score

I wonder if this is true. Heres another.

So if this is the case… the article from Scotland is troubling.

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score

I wonder if this is true. Heres another.

So if this is the case… the article from Scotland is troubling.
I'm not one to really criticize websites but man clicking on that link I'm surprised I didn't see a headline about a bigfoot sighting.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not one to really criticize websites but man clicking on that link I'm surprised I didn't see a headline about a bigfoot sighting.
Gateway Pundit is garbage. It’s not worth clicking, and generally it tells you a bit about anyone who does give it credence.

kev994

Reaction score
Back in December they were admonishing first world countries for using boosters when many parts of the world hadn’t been given a first dose. Maybe they’re taking that out of context?
Edit: Link

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score

I've been getting my hair cut at the same barber shop for the past 12 years, since we moved here. There are two barbers, G and S. G is the owner, S, I assume, rents his seat. I am not privy to their business arrangement. For no particular reason, S has been my usual barber since he started there six years ago. They give good haircuts at reasonable, for here, rates. Years ago G posted a sign on the front door of the shop saying "If you are sick, don't come in. I can't afford to get ill and be off work." A reasonable note and one that led me to believe the shop was cognizant of good health and generally a safe place to go. This is important to me as I am immunocompromised. During COVID they only take appointments, again to avoid crowding in the waiting room. I had an appointment last week with S. He emailed me and let me know due to the big snowfall he couldn't come in and I would have to re-book, which I did. I went in yesterday and only G was there. "Where is S", I asked? "At home sick" says G. "Not COVID" says I. "Yup" says G. I said that was too bad. G said "Well, he was unvaccinated, so it was inevitable". Think that through a bit. Here is a barber, who is not vaccinated, cheerfully working inches from customers faces for the past six months ago, since we could get vaccinated. Had there not been the snow storm, he would have been cutting my hair while full of COVID. G advised me S was an anti-vaxxer. I just about crapped myself. Talk about feeling betrayed. Here, what I thought was a sanctuary of safety turned out to be a den of stupidity. I had a good chat with G about his lack of judgement ("You should have told him to stay home until he gets his shots or at the very least do rapid tests each day he comes to work"). To say I was livid was an understatement. As I said to G, S put all of our health at risk because of his opinions. G was reluctant to take any action against S as he is a "good friend". I don't give a rat's ass what opinion a person holds, but when they threaten my health, I do care. Needless to say I won't be using this barber again. Overreaction? I'm sure some of you out there would think so, but I think as a customer I deserve to trust that I am in a safe environment.

Sorry to hear that, OldTanker.

I think the unspoken agreement at the barbershop I go to is, "Don't ask. Don't tell."

QV

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Here are a few more on the topic. News sites with big ad money from Pfizer probably wouldn’t report this, just a guess.

The head of biological health threats and vaccines strategy at the European Medicines Agency, Marco Cavaleri, said boosters are "not something that we can think should be repeated constantly."
"We need to think about how we can transition from the current pandemic setting to a more endemic setting," he said, matching the recent comments of WHO envoy Dr. David Nabarro.

kev994

Reaction score
Here are a few more on the topic. News sites with big ad money from Pfizer probably wouldn’t report this, just a guess.

The head of biological health threats and vaccines strategy at the European Medicines Agency, Marco Cavaleri, said boosters are "not something that we can think should be repeated constantly."
"We need to think about how we can transition from the current pandemic setting to a more endemic setting," he said, matching the recent comments of WHO envoy Dr. David Nabarro.
But they’re not saying to stop boosters, they’re saying that the boosters need to be adjusted for the newer strain. What you’re implying is not what the articles say.

YZT580

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
But they’re not saying to stop boosters, they’re saying that the boosters need to be adjusted for the newer strain. What you’re implying is not what the articles say.
There is no way for the lab techs to keep up with the changes in strains. The logistics of identifying, analysing, determining the correct response, developing then testing the results on a sample population, changing the assembly line and then marketing the end result takes longer than the expected duration of the strain. And every injection comes with a risk: there is no avoiding it. So there is is no point in pursuing antidotes. Covid is a relatively benign virus by all statistics. Most casualties had other ailments. It killed off the most vulnerable in the first few months because of our lackadaisical approach to health care. Now its only real threat is in numbers to be treated and not virulence. So get our lives back from the government and the health departments and return to living.

Booter

Subscriber
Reaction score
The flu shot works that way. They predict trends and choose which strains they are going to protect and some years they have missed the mark.

So if the same people that do those things tell me that they can reliably create a booster shot I am going to trust that.

And a relatively high amount of flu shots have side effects and can even cause death.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
The flu shot works that way. They predict trends and choose which strains they are going to protect and some years they have missed the mark.

So if the same people that do those things tell me that they can reliably create a booster shot I am going to trust that.

And a relatively high amount of flu shots have side effects and can even cause death.
The COVID RNA vaccines have had significantly better efficacy than the flu shot tends to. The amount of research this has caused to be put into RNA vaccines is going to be a game changer in immunology post-COVID once they have time to really work at other applications.

QV

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Is anyone here tracking the Project Veritas leak of the DARPA documents?

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
That’s like 1%. Really, that indicates a win. ~99% uptake is great.

As far as I can tell, the impact the vaccine mandate had on emergency response times in our town from 31 Oct. to now has been neglible. YMMV

The fire department fired 20 unvaxxed. About half of 1% of the dept.

The unvaxxed had been out of service since late October, and there are always plenty of qualified applicants.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, the impact the vaccine mandate had on emergency response times in our town from 31 Oct. to now has been neglible. YMMV

The fire department fired 20 unvaxxed. About half of 1% of the dept.

The unvaxxed had been out of service since late October, and there are always plenty of qualified applicants.
That’s good to hear. Plenty of qualified and willing applicants can fill the vacancies.