Author Topic: Posting Policy-Out of Canada (OUTCAN) [MERGED]  (Read 113353 times)

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Posting Policy-Out of Canada (OUTCAN) [MERGED]
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 10:43:49 »
And I don't have a palace or former castle like some guys on outcan, nor a all season inground pool with whirlpool attached like my buddy had in Panama City Florida when he was on outcan.

Once again, the difference between a loadie and a pilot is vividly brought home  ;D
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 11:12:00 »
My daughter's family has an inground swimming pool and a tornado shelter!
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
  • Insert deep thought.....
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 18:34:40 »
Hello All,

Did a search and all I found were posts about Gen's and CFE.

Other than through EMA and the CM intranet site, is there anywhere else I can get a list of OutCan postings? I've heard there is some kind of "list" coming out in June timeframe?

Ninerdomestic and I have been doing some research (OutCan website is actually pretty good) but I'd like to hear more opinions. We are especially concerned about the schools as Little Wook has learning disabilities and we would have to ensure that sufficient resources are in place before I even apply for any positions.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Wook
Why are there swamps on top of hills?

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 18:52:39 »
What trade are you Wook?

Your BPSO is the one that DAGs you green/red for dependant learning disabilities - they might be a good place to start.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2011, 00:34:39 »
I just started the screening process and agree with Zoomie's statement.  Part of the screening paperwork also deals with that, but I can check tomorrow.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 15:31:59 »
Thanks for putting me on the right track. Talked to one of our BPSO's about the screening yesterday.

I'm Log  O now, there's a few positions coming open this year (or, I should say, there is supposed to be). 9D and I just want to make sure that the support we will need is there before I waste everyone's time (including our own) and DAG Red because of the education aspect.

Wook

Offline captloadie

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2011, 04:19:51 »
Wook,
The Log Branch used to send us an e-mail message every year showing the Outcan postings coming open for the coming APS. I 'remember receiving one last year, but as I can't check my DWAN e-mail very often, I'm not sure the timeframe when it came out. Try contacting your base A1/G1 to find out when this year's message will come out.

As for the education question - check this link on the different locations to see what type of assistance is available.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dem-epcg/pd/pct-mmt/index-eng.asp

The down side is that unless you are looking at an English language country (or French I guess if your dependant can learn in that language), it will be difficult to find a school that provides the additional assistance required for children with learning disabilities. For instance, AFNORTH and Mons (the two main schools for GK and Casteau) don't offer this type of assistance.

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2011, 09:24:10 »
Thanks for the link. I was looking at the DEMs site but did not go far enough into the weeds.

That's that for that then. Not going to put Lil Wook (and us) through years of frustration so I can get a notch on the resume.

Thanks for the links and info everyone.

Wook

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2011, 10:03:00 »
There are some "outcan" positions in the USA; those might still be on the radar for you as it's more likely that you'd have access to the types of schools you require.

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Aerobicrunner

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 10:28:11 »
The following link on the DIN has all OutCan postings for all Log Offrs and dates when they are open:
http://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dgmc/engraph/APS_e.asp

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2011, 11:52:42 »
There are some "outcan" positions in the USA;

LOL - some...  There are more OUTCAN positions in the USA than anywhere else.  Close to 700 CF personnel.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2011, 11:53:35 »
I just started the screening process and agree with Zoomie's statement. 

You are screening rather late Dim - did someone DAG Red?  Where are you trying to go?  I did all my screening for this APS back in Jan.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline jpljpl

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2011, 02:12:17 »
Does anyone know if there are OutCan posts for junior officers - I saw some senior officers/NCOs positions - lets say for a Signals Officer - Lt.

Cheers!

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2011, 07:14:11 »
Does anyone know if there are OutCan posts for junior officers - I saw some senior officers/NCOs positions - lets say for a Signals Officer - Lt.

Cheers!

They would be pretty few and far between.  I can give you a more accurate answer tomorrow, but for example, CELE has only one Capt/Lt position OutCan - and that's in Maryland.  I wouldn't expect Signals (or any other officer occupation) to be much different.

Offline BobSlob

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2011, 09:30:08 »

Cheers!

Login to EMAA and check. Should be a listing of all possible postings for your trade, both within Canada and OutCan. It'll even give you dates and names of who you'd be replacing.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2012, 20:45:36 »
I didn't want to start a new thread, so I decided to add here. 

With my OUTCAN posting, the CF will deposit my pay and allowances into my Cdn bank account, while I need to maintain an Australian bank account for TD and claims.  Hopefully someone here with OUTCAN experience in Australia can help with ideas on how to transfer $ from my Canadian to Australian accounts without getting totally gouged by the banks/exchanges? 

Thanks!
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2012, 02:22:29 »
That sounds odd.  I have been OUTCAN in the UK (95-98) and in the US (09-10), and both times my pay was deposited in my local (ie Brit or Merican) account.
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline AmmoTech90

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Catching Bullets
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2012, 22:03:30 »
That sounds odd.  I have been OUTCAN in the UK (95-98) and in the US (09-10), and both times my pay was deposited in my local (ie Brit or Merican) account.

I was thinking the same thing, but checked on the VCDS/OUTCAN website and sure enough they say that pay is normal for small OUTCANs.  I would suggest finding out how often you get to put in claims for exchange rate fees.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

The fragrance of Afghanistan
Rewards a long day's toil
A Passage to Bangkok- Rush

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2012, 00:06:28 »
I was thinking the same thing, but checked on the VCDS/OUTCAN website and sure enough they say that pay is normal for small OUTCANs.  I would suggest finding out how often you get to put in claims for exchange rate fees.

Hmm, I must have missed that in my reading.  I wonder why that is the case.

OK then; on an OUTCAN HHT, since you'd be just starting up your account in the host country and wire transfers take a week or so to clear, how have people put down security deposits/bonds while in the HHT timeframe?  A bunch of traveller's checks?  A bag o'money?   ???

Offline AmmoTech90

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Catching Bullets
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2012, 00:55:26 »
You might have this already.
http://www.outcan.forces.gc.ca/sites/page-eng.asp?page=6894
Aus is administered by MFSS
http://www.vcds-vcemd.forces.gc.ca/sites/page-eng.asp?page=8539
Cpl Rioux would appear to be your clerk.
http://www.vcds-vcemd.forces.gc.ca/sites/page-eng.asp?page=8543

They should have some answers.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Offline AmmoTech90

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Catching Bullets
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2012, 00:58:44 »
Here's the answer, buried in the FAQ.  The expense to you is rolled into one of the allowances, Post Living Allowance.

Post Living Allowance (PLA):  PLA assists the member at post if the cost of living exceeds that of the NCR – basically a form of Post Living Differential, but applicable to OUTCAN postings.  It applies to a member who is posted, attach posted or attached posted (temporary) to a place of duty outside Canada, including each member of a service couple. It varies according to your pay level.  A mbr receiving PLA is not entitled to Separation Expense.

What it covers:  PLA compensates for the higher costs of purchasing goods and services at the post (ex:  internet/satellite/cable installation/services, groceries, gas, local banking (Rate Of Exchange losses/transfer fees), clothing, restaurants, extraordinary postal rates above and beyond proscribed rates for mailing/shipping, etc):  generally any cost of living expenses higher than Ottawa and based on the Post Index for that position.

Further details at:  http://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dgcb/cbi/pdf/CBI_10_Sec_15.pdf

Edit: A link that works: http://www.njc-cnm.gc.ca/directive/index.php?sid=16&hl=1&lang=eng#tc-tm_1_3
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:02:26 by AmmoTech90 »

Offline Inverted

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2012, 01:35:08 »
Dimsum,

Sorry I should have mentioned in my PM that one of the things considered in the PLA is the exchange rate. 

When I first got Down Under I asked about having my pay sent to my Aussie account. MFSS responded that there was no way of setting up a foreign payment in PeopleSoft (or HRMS or whatever the pay system is called these days), had I known that people in the States and the UK could do it I would have pushed harder. Being paid to your Aussie account would make life much easier.

In the end don't worry too much about the cost of the foreign exchange, through the company I mentioned to you, I lose about an extra 1.5 cents over the bank rate, not too bad. Plus with the amount of money you make on Foreign Service, PLA and PSA, you won't even notice it. After getting used to these allowances, I don't know how I'm going to afford to live back in Canada!!  :'(

Cheers

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2012, 02:21:08 »
Thanks Inverted for all the info on here and elsewhere.  I'll definitely push through the clerks at MFSS. 

I just learned about the US, UK and SHAPE HQ allotments over xmas break when I was visiting Colorado Springs.  Bit of a surprise to me too.

Offline captloadie

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2012, 09:41:49 »
If you have two credit cards, you could set up two paypal accounts, one Canadian, one AUS. It will allow you to quickly transfer funds from one to another, and the rates weren't that much different from the banks.

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2012, 23:48:59 »
On my HHT - the CF SOR down here cut us cheques for the security deposit and first months rent.  I immediately deposited them in my new US bank account and wrote cheques to the landlord.  Don't know how this will apply to you in the absence of an SOR or any support.
Per Ardua Ad Astra