Author Topic: Prince Phillip presenting new 3 RCR colours in Toronto 27 Apr 13  (Read 9300 times)

Offline Bread Guy

• Bread Baker & Info Curator (still learning @ both)
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment, is pleased to announce that His Royal Highness Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, will present a new Regimental Colour to the 3rd Battalion in Toronto, on April 27, 2013.

“The Battalion is honoured to receive its new Regimental Colour from our Colonel-in-Chief," said Lieutenant-Colonel David Quick, Commanding Officer, 3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment. “This presentation of a new Colour is a proud moment and we are so pleased to be able to share this day with His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh.”

His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh has been the Colonel-in-Chief of The Royal Canadian Regiment since December 1953. Regimental Colours are a kind of ceremonial flag which, historically, provided a rallying point for troops on the battlefield, and which today remind soldiers of their unit’s history. They are the most prized possession of every regiment.

This is a private working visit for His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh to visit with the Officers and Non-commissioned members of the 3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment.
DND Info-machine, 27 Feb 13
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• The Fly in Someone's Ointment - Giggity
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Prince Phillip presenting new 3 RCR colours in Toronto 27 Apr 13
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 22:34:32 »
Did they lose they're last colours?  Jk
Apparently infamous for his one liners.
Oh Giggity Well...........Giggity

Offline Dan M

• Rate Post
  • It's only with age I realize how lucky I've been.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 08:48:53 »
3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment, is pleased to announce that His Royal Highness Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, will present a new Regimental Colour to the 3rd Battalion in Toronto, on April 27, 2013.

Toronto is a pretty big place.  Does anyone have any idea as to where this ceremony is to take place?  Will tickets be required to attend?

The ceremony giving The Regiment the Freedom of the City of Toronto took place at Fort York and was open to the public.  The entire 1st Bn was bussed in from London.  Is something similar planned for the new Colour presentation?

Finally, why just the Regimental Colour and why just one battalion?  Surely if changes are being made to the displayed battle honours, all of the battalions will now need a new Colour.

And why Toronto?  Not complaining mind you, just curious.

Cheers (and Pro Patria),
Dan.
An officer in The Canadian Guards should at all times, by intelligent study, conscientious application to his work and continual observation, seek to make himself so competent, so confident and so correct in all matters connected with the Profession of Arms that if he were to state in the presence of any military audience that "Pigs have wings", he would at once be both understood and believed. The wise officer, of course, will weigh all his statements carefully before he makes them. (ASAG 1960)

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 11:21:10 »
Toronto is a pretty big place.  Does anyone have any idea as to where this ceremony is to take place?  Will tickets be required to attend?

The ceremony giving The Regiment the Freedom of the City of Toronto took place at Fort York and was open to the public.  The entire 1st Bn was bussed in from London.  Is something similar planned for the new Colour presentation?

Finally, why just the Regimental Colour and why just one battalion?  Surely if changes are being made to the displayed battle honours, all of the battalions will now need a new Colour.

And why Toronto?  Not complaining mind you, just curious.

Cheers (and Pro Patria),
Dan.

Dan,

I am involved with the planning of this event, the colours being presented are new colours for our battalion which have been in storage for some time now.  Due to ongoing operations we did not have the time to present them to the Bn but now that things have slowed down quite a bit the opportunity is there to present them to the Bn. 

The info on locations, etc will be released shortly.  We are still in the planning process for this and are shoring up details and reaching agreements with civilian organizations.  Once the day arrives though it is going to be a good show!

Offline Bread Guy

• Bread Baker & Info Curator (still learning @ both)
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 11:34:40 »
FYI, moved the battle honours posts containing good info over to an already-started thread on battle honours for Afghanistan:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,27435.0/all.html

Milnet.ca Staff
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Dan M

• Rate Post
  • It's only with age I realize how lucky I've been.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 19:06:46 »
Dan,

I am involved with the planning of this event, the colours being presented are new colours for our battalion which have been in storage for some time now.  Due to ongoing operations we did not have the time to present them to the Bn but now that things have slowed down quite a bit the opportunity is there to present them to the Bn. 

The info on locations, etc will be released shortly.  We are still in the planning process for this and are shoring up details and reaching agreements with civilian organizations.  Once the day arrives though it is going to be a good show!

Drew,

Thanks for the response and the personal PM.  I'll stand by for the details.  My 1983 Reunion baseball cap is polished and ready to go.

Cheers,
Dan.
An officer in The Canadian Guards should at all times, by intelligent study, conscientious application to his work and continual observation, seek to make himself so competent, so confident and so correct in all matters connected with the Profession of Arms that if he were to state in the presence of any military audience that "Pigs have wings", he would at once be both understood and believed. The wise officer, of course, will weigh all his statements carefully before he makes them. (ASAG 1960)