Author Topic: 9 Sept 10: Medic faces Sexual Assault Charges  (Read 20825 times)

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
9 Sept 10: Medic faces Sexual Assault Charges
« on: September 09, 2010, 15:05:27 »
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?cat=00&id=3543

Sexual Assault Charges Laid For Incidents
CFNIS NR – 2010-12 - September 9, 2010

LONDON, Ont. – The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service (CFNIS), the investigative arm of the Canadian Forces Military Police, charged a member of the Canadian Forces (CF) for sexual assault and other charges today in relation to incidents alleged to have happened while he was performing recruit medical examinations in southwestern Ontario on behalf of the Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre (CFRC) Detachment London.

Petty Officer Second Class James Wilks was charged with two counts of Sexual Assault contrary to section 130 of the National Defence Act (NDA) and pursuant to section 271 of the Criminal Code of Canada (CCC), three counts of Behaving in a Disgraceful Manner contrary to section 93 of the NDA, and four counts of Negligent Performance of Duty contrary to section 124 of the NDA.

“The Military Police consider sexual assault to be a serious matter and will thoroughly investigate any such allegations related to Canadian Forces personnel, civilian DND employees, or any other person on DND property,” said Lieutenant-Colonel Gilles Sansterre, Commanding Officer of the CFNIS.

The accused is performing administrative duties pending the outcome of the judicial process.

If anyone has any information pertinent to this investigation, they are requested to contact the CFNIS at 1-866-698-1119.

The CFNIS is an independent Military Police unit with a mandate to investigate serious and sensitive matters in relation to National Defence property, DND employees and CF personnel serving in Canada and abroad.

- 30 -
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 07:53:09 by milnews.ca »
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline PMedMoe

is NOT a Med Tech.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I am NOT a Med Tech!!
Re: Sexual Assault Charges Laid For Incidents
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 09:49:18 »
Military officer charged with sexual assault

LONDON, Ont. — A military officer based in London is facing nine charges after at least two women trying to join the Canadian Forces say they were sexually assaulted at a recruiting centre.

James Wilks, a petty officer second class, faces two criminal counts of sexual assault and seven military charges, including behaving in a disgraceful manner and negligence in the performance of his duties.

The allegations are that Wilks — a military medical technician who’s been with the Forces for 25 years — sexually assaulted new recruits between Sept. 2008 and Dec. 2009 while performing physical examinations.

More at link
“He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of dispute.” ~ Nietzsche ~

Offline Tank Troll

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 11:10:47 »
Are Soldiers getting dumber or are thing just getting reported more. It seems there is more and more of this in the news or have I just been wearing blinders ???
I know the voices in my head are not real...............but Damn they have some good ideas

Offline Trueblue

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 12:27:39 »
Are Soldiers getting dumber or are thing just getting reported more. It seems there is more and more of this in the news or have I just been wearing blinders ???

My guess would be during war times, a lot of focus is put on the military in the media... at least more so than the already large amount.

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 14:17:06 »
As he's not yet been tried, much less convicted, can we delay building the gallows please?  I know the guy concerned and am rather surprised by this - perhaps he's guilty of poor judgement in not having a chaperone with him, we don't know as yet.  These people may have been rejected medically based on his findings and are laying these charges frivolously - again we don't know.  I can say this - I'll be watching closely, as will many co-workers I'm sure, as when this is all said and done, there sure as Hell will be a BOI putting out a pile of reccomendations ensuring there is no way this will occur again.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Jim Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 14:29:30 »
As he's not yet been tried, much less convicted, can we delay building the gallows please?  I know the guy concerned and am rather surprised by this - perhaps he's guilty of poor judgement in not having a chaperone with him, we don't know as yet.  These people may have been rejected medically based on his findings and are laying these charges frivolously - again we don't know.  I can say this - I'll be watching closely, as will many co-workers I'm sure, as when this is all said and done, there sure as Hell will be a BOI putting out a pile of reccomendations ensuring there is no way this will occur again.

MM

I agree. From what I have read here, he's got 25 in and a clean record.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 14:48:22 »
Ergo consider this the standard mod comment that as of now this thread will be stringently monitored and inappropriate comments, speculatiosn etc will be deleted and the poster may be introduced to the site warning system.

Staff
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline MedicChick

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 07:31:51 »

MM

I guess we shall see very soon, as te court martial is just about finished; for the first three girls who came forward anyway.
Live Life, Taste Death

Offline MedicChick

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 13:38:07 »
I agree. From what I have read here, he's got 25 in and a clean record.

Clean record can be used very lightly here. Considering it is very public news, details will be out soon. Conviction with in the next two days, hopefully sentencing as well!
Live Life, Taste Death

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Sentence: 9 months in civvy jail (since he's out) + DNA to data bank
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 15:02:15 »
Lt.-Col. J.G. Perron, a Canadian Forces (CF) military judge, has sentenced Mr. James Wilks to 9 months imprisonment for incidents that occurred while he was performing recruit medical examinations in South-Western Ontario on behalf of the Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre (CFRC) Detachment London. In addition, Mr. Wilks was ordered to comply with the Sex Offender Information Registry for 20 years as well as provide DNA samples for the National DNA Databank.

On April 29, 2011, the Director of Military Prosecutions preferred two counts of sexual assault contrary to section 130 of the National Defence Act (NDA), and pursuant to section 271 of the Criminal Code of Canada (CCC), and four counts of breach of trust contrary to section 130 of the National Defence Act (NDA), and pursuant to section 122 of the CCC against Petty Officer Second Class (PO2) retired James Wilks. On October 17, 2011, Mr. Wilks was found guilty of one count of sexual assault and four counts of breach of trust.

The incidents took place at CFRC Detachment London and at the Major G.H. Stirrett Armouries in Sarnia between September 2008 and December 2009.

As Mr. Wilks is no longer a member of the CF, he will serve his sentence at a civilian facility.

Mr. Wilks served in the CF for 27 years and was released on April 28, 2011.
CF news release, 12 Dec 11
"The risk of insult is the price of clarity."  Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 18:24:20 »
Oh my...

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

Offline X Royal

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 11:00:51 »
My question would be why was he released while still facing these charges?
It's not like other cases where release was after the charges were heard & a conviction tendered, even if an appeal followed.

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 11:13:04 »
I testified at a CM for a person that had been released pretrial - an Admin Review conducted may have recommended release on admin grounds, despite the upcoming legal events (as was the case for the person I was testifying against).  I was AO for a person with the same issues going on - was released on an AR pending trial for CC and NDA charges.  In Jamie Wilks' case, he may have elected to just to take his release based on time in, or an AR may have recommended it prior to the trial. 

MM
MM

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 12:34:03 »
We had a fellow in our Bde who was CM twice ( several years apart) for stealing. The second time was after his release. He got a extremely light sentence "hardship in new civilian life" or some such.

Previous to CM one he had been in the shidt for fraudulent travel claim (s).

He bought lotos at a neighborhood gas station, and stiffed a new employee (a kid) $50.00. He never went back to that location.

Not a Fin O, but close.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Editor, The Devils' Blast, the Annual Chronicle of The Royal Winnipeg Rifles

http://www.royalwinnipegrifles.com/regimental-association/the-devils-blast/

Offline X Royal

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 20:10:06 »
The way I see it is that an administrative release before the court martial is only a way of saving money as in wages stop. But in the same time it also saves money on the punishment end as sentence is to the civilian system and the forces save money again.
At the same time punishment is not as severe as the service detention system is left out of the equation.
IMO in case similar to this release should be withheld until charges are finalized.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
More charges laid
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 11:35:53 »
A reminder:  The Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and Canada's constitution, guarantees the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty.
The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service (CFNIS) charged on Friday a former Canadian Forces Medical Technician for incidents alleged to have occurred while he performed medical exams at a Naval Reserve unit in Thunder Bay and at the Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre in London.

Ex-Petty Officer, 2nd class (PO 2) James Wilks was charged with the following:
  • four counts of Sexual Assault, contrary to section 130 of the National Defence Act, and pursuant to section 271 of the Criminal Code; and
  • ten counts of Breach of Trust, contrary to section 130 of the National Defence Act, and contrary to section 122 of the Criminal Code.
It is alleged that between 2002 and 2009, the accused performed medical examinations on CF recruits and serving members contrary to prescribed medical procedures.

In September 2010, the CFNIS laid nine charges against Ex-PO 2 Wilks in relation to similar incidents. The alleged victims of these new charges came forward after the Military Police made a public appeal for other possible victims to step forward. Military Police again ask that anyone who believes they may also have been victimized contact them at 1-705-423-1497 ....
CF news release, 23 Jan 12
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:49:32 by milnews.ca »

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline MedCorps

• Rate Post
  • Career Student
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 16:47:07 »
Ouch.  Round Two.   

MC

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 17:25:47 »
Ouch.  Round Two.   

MC
Often happens when other victims hear of the first round of charges and come forward.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline GD

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 17:34:08 »
It is probably a stupid question, but how could the CF Release someone and still Court Martial them? I thought you had to be in the military at the time of your CM, or is it that the crime(s) had to be commited while in the military?

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 17:48:18 »
It is probably a stupid question, but how could the CF Release someone and still Court Martial them? I thought you had to be in the military at the time of your CM, or is it that the crime(s) had to be commited while in the military?
Question asked earlier....
My question would be why was he released while still facing these charges?  It's not like other cases where release was after the charges were heard & a conviction tendered, even if an appeal followed.
.... with some answers earlier in the thread:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,96457.msg1098145.html#msg1098145
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,96457.msg1098162.html#msg1098162

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline BernDawg

• Wood Butcher
  • Rate Post
  • Retired... workin' harder than ever!
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 18:27:31 »
"We can't all be heroes... because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."  Will Rogers
Someone has to be last.  At least if it's me I know where all the assholes are.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 18:45:23 »
Two reminders, folks:
1)  The Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and Canada's constitution, guarantees the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty (including new charges).
2)  What one of my mod colleagues said before:
.... consider this the standard mod comment that as of now this thread will be stringently monitored and inappropriate comments, speculatiosn etc will be deleted and the poster may be introduced to the site warning system.

Staff
Milnet.ca Staff

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: 9 Sept 10: Medic faces Sexual Assault Charges
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 12:31:07 »
Saw this item on Paramedic Network News ( PNN ).
FYI

April 17, 2012
"A Sarnia-area woman is seeking $1.3 million in a civil suit launched against the military medic who assaulted her and against the Department of National Defence.":
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2012/04/17/19645421.html

Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
More charges laid
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 19:38:27 »
Bump with the latest ....

A reminder:  Under Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms, "any person charged with an offence has the right .... to be presumed innocent until proven guilty according to law in a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal"

The Canadian Forces (CF) National Investigation Service charged on Wednesday a former CF medical technician for incidents alleged to have occurred while he performed medical exams at a Naval Reserve unit in Thunder Bay and at the CF Recruiting Centre in London.

Petty Officer 2nd class (Retired) James Wilks was charged with the following:

• eight counts of sexual assault, contrary to section 130 of the National Defence Act, and pursuant to section 271 of the Criminal Code; and
  • nine counts of breach of trust, contrary to section 130 of the National Defence Act, and contrary to section 122 of the Criminal Code.

It is alleged that between 2002 and 2009, the accused performed medical examinations on CF recruits and serving members contrary to prescribed medical procedures. In September 2010 and January 2012, the CF National Investigation Service laid a total of 20 charges against Petty Officer 2nd class Wilks (Retired) in relation to similar incidents. The alleged victims of these new charges came forward after the Military Police made a public appeal for other possible victims to step forward ....
CFNIS Info-machine, 13 Dec 12
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 20:31:07 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online Bruce Monkhouse

is back on the ice. YAY!!

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
Re: 9 Sept 10: Medic faces Sexual Assault Charges
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 23:38:29 »
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/sex-assault-complaints-against-former-petty-officer-probed/article11448906/

Sex assault complaints against former petty officer probed
ALISON AULD and SUE BAILEY
The Canadian Press

Published Sunday, Apr. 21 2013, 10:57 PM EDT

The Department of National Defence is investigating its handling of sexual assault complaints involving a convicted former medical technician who is facing 31 new charges, The Canadian Press has learned.

Complaints involving James Wilks were mishandled, says a lawyer for one of his victims who is suing the former medical technician and the military.

MORE ON LINK
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.