Author Topic: The Wearing and Location of The Poppy- Uniform/Civilian  (Read 63646 times)

Online Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: The Wearing and Location of The Poppy- Uniform/Civilian
« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2012, 11:38:16 »
No, just stick the tack through the same pin hole in the black and red parts of the poppy, put it through your rank slip-on, and put the clutch on the back.
Far from an apprentice, but not yet a master.

"Je suis trop honnête pour être poli" ~Louis Scutenaire (1905-1987)

Offline Pat in Halifax

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Jackwagon
« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2012, 12:15:27 »
I really hate doing this but for those in MARLANT (DIN msg):
http://ln6-hfx-q043300.halifax.mil.ca/messages/marlantgen/2012293000182.html
Specifically para 3
Sorry...
Pat

I have often thought of something more permanent as being a little more practicle. I think if the wearing of the poppy is remarketed, then sales would not slump. If you are volunteering for your Legion doing this, don't ask people if they will 'buy' a poppy, ask them if they would 'wear' one. Tell them what it supports as most people don't realize it. For those who "don't have any change", I used to keep a roll of quarters on me and if it cost me $10 each night I was outside Sobeys or Cambodian Tire, it was for a worthy cause and I had no issues with it.
"No ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb ******* die for his"
George S. Patton

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2012, 12:17:31 »
.... For those who "don't have any change", I used to keep a roll of quarters on me and if it cost me $10 each night I was outside Sobeys or Cambodian Tire, it was for a worthy cause and I had no issues with it.
Good one - especially if you tell them, "let me get one for you to wear - thank you."
"I do my best proofreading after I hit send."  @ComedyPosts

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Robert0288

• Rate Post
Re: Re: The Wearing and Location of The Poppy- Uniform/Civilian
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2012, 14:50:31 »
All this talk of pins and clutches to hold the poppy on.  Just take the back of the pin, and with a gerber turn it into a fish hook.  Never lost one.

Offline the 48th regulator

ego meorum solus sum meus.

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • genero ferocia decerto
    • the 48th regulator's wares
« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2012, 16:17:28 »
The Royal Canadian Legion Poppy
The red poppy is an emblem of the RCL and is used to commemorate Canadians who died in battle. CF members shall wear the poppy on all uniforms from the last Friday of October until Remembrance Day (November 11th) and are encouraged to wear it when attending any event whose main purpose is to commemorate Canadians who died in battle.

NOTE: The wearing of the poppy with the miniature Canadian flag pin as a means of securing the poppy to the uniform instead of the provided straight pin is not authorized for any CF uniform.

I glued a magnet between the black center, and the poppy.  I then use another one inside my blazer/jacket/shirt.  Will do the same with my wound stripe, so I don't have to sew it on my blazer.

Attached is a useful aide de memoire, that I got the above information in yellow.

dileas

tess
I never ****ed anybody over in my life didn't have it coming to them. You got that? All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one. Do you understand?

- Tony Montana: Scarface

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• "Look, I don't know if shooting penguins will help the environment or not. But I do know that the decision shouldn't be in the hands of people who just wanna kill for fun."
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2012, 17:14:50 »
Why do we have to repeat what's already in this thread every year?

It's not rocket appliances.

If I were to live every day as though it were my last, the body count would be staggering

DISCLAIMER - my opinion may cause manginal irritation.

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2012, 18:37:36 »
Why do we have to repeat what's already in this thread every year?

It's not rocket appliances.

Because we are all getting older, and the memories are not as sharp as they used to be. ;)

And FWIW, I wasn't aware that they had changed wearing of the poppy from the headdress to other parts of the uniform depending on the dress / garment being worn. (That was the new thing I learned today :nod: )
There is no God, and life is just a myth.

Let's Go CAPS!

Online NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Squadron Operations Warrant
« Reply #132 on: October 31, 2012, 18:38:43 »
Because we are all getting older, and the memories are not as sharp as they used to be. ;)

And FWIW, I wasn't aware that they had changed wearing of the poppy from the headdress to other parts of the uniform depending on the dress / garment being worn. (That was the new thing I learned today :nod: )

Been like that for at least the past 12 years.....
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer
#93 | Rank: 117 | Cbt Exp: 1,653,320 | Msns: 1,930

Online Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2012, 18:45:07 »
We got sent a pic today, as in "this is how it's done," of some airforce guy wearing it on his DEU shirt pocket flap....but he also had a Commendation bar there too, rather than on the pocket itself.

:dunno:

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2012, 18:49:53 »
Been like that for at least the past 12 years.....

I was out about 10 years before that, and have been in the US for the past 10 years, and the one or two Remembrance Days I have been home for I never really noticed that the placement was changed. :dunno:
There is no God, and life is just a myth.

Let's Go CAPS!

Online NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Squadron Operations Warrant
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2012, 18:53:43 »
I was out about 10 years before that, and have been in the US for the past 10 years, and the one or two Remembrance Days I have been home for I never really noticed that the placement was changed. :dunno:

Ack. But I do notice the older vets still place it in headress though....
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer
#93 | Rank: 117 | Cbt Exp: 1,653,320 | Msns: 1,930

Offline Pat in Halifax

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Jackwagon
« Reply #136 on: November 01, 2012, 04:59:57 »
We got sent a pic today, as in "this is how it's done," of some airforce guy wearing it on his DEU shirt pocket flap....but he also had a Commendation bar there too, rather than on the pocket itself.

That could actually have been an "airforce gal" as (for whatever reason), females wear commendation bars on the pocket flap. That was actually a discussion item in the minutes of the Dress Committee meeting a few posts back.

Pat
"No ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb ******* die for his"
George S. Patton

Offline ObedientiaZelum

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #137 on: November 01, 2012, 06:10:00 »
 That's 3 poppy "donation" boxes I've came across with "these are not free" wrote on the side in marker.
Really?how much is the required donation?
We ask only to serve
✠ Ave Imperator ✠

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #138 on: November 01, 2012, 10:35:25 »
FYI I tweeted the following to the mayor of Calgary this morning (he has a great following on twitter):

"@nenshi Now that Hween is ovr can u remind ppl Remembrance day is next & not Xmas. Hold off on the lights &wear a poppy!"

It's been pushed for the past hour and is up to about 30 retweets... I figure every little bit helps in recognizing that.
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Online exgunnertdo

• Rate Post
« Reply #139 on: November 01, 2012, 10:36:27 »

If that's the same one we got sent (sounds like it) - it's a clarification of where females put the poppy if they have a commendation.  Females wear the Commendations on the pocket flap, hence the need for the clarification of where to put the poppy.  Are you sure it was a guy?  The picture I got was just the pocket flap itself.  If it was detached from the message and had no context it would look like it was wrong (if one assumed it was a "guy" not a female).
"Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . ."
"God fights on the side with the best artillery"
- Napoleon

Online Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #140 on: November 01, 2012, 12:08:53 »
Pat/ExGnr: Now I know. And yes, it was just posted on the bulletin board by the BOR without context/explanation.

Learn something new every day. Thanks.  :)

Although, for the record, I'm neither Airforce or female, and seldom wound-up over dress issues.  ;)

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2012, 12:10:52 »
Tis the season...

What do you all say to this?  It's what we wear where I work but I have heard some people say it's a "no go" and that the Legion doesn't like it (the theory that you can't lose poppies and buy more comes to mind):

INSERT PIC FROM PAGE 5 HERE

Turns out I was misinformed.  The Legion in Calgary is the one supplying the poppy centers.  Also, I understand the Brigade RSM where I work has been accepting of this "new" pin and has no issues as of yet with it being worn.
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline ObedientiaZelum

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #142 on: November 01, 2012, 12:24:21 »
and seldom wound-up over dress issues.  ;)[/size]

I see what you did there  ;D
We ask only to serve
✠ Ave Imperator ✠

Online Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #143 on: November 01, 2012, 12:27:12 »
Nah, it's just that we have an RSM and Adjt who get paid to care about that.

...although I suspect that the RSM would jack people up...and march himself up and down the parade square.....for free -- he seems to enjoy such things.  ;D

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2012, 13:46:11 »
...although I suspect that the RSM would jack people up...and march himself up and down the parade square.....for free -- he seems to enjoy such things.  ;D

Should we fill out an application for him to join this esteemed group?  8)

http://www.arrse.co.uk/old-bold/54778-mad-fish-rsms.html
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.
#417 | Rank: 7 | Cbt Exp: 536 | Msns: 137

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2012, 14:41:20 »
FYI, just pulled a few posts and shoved them over in the "Poppy Sales" thread here:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=2775.0

Please carry on....

Milnet.ca Staff

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2012, 14:23:53 »
Interesting question brought up by Liberal Senator Romeo Dallaire in the Senate yesterday - highlights mine:
Hon. Roméo Antonius Dallaire: Honourable senators, a ceremony was held this morning in front of the National War Memorial. The Minister of Veterans Affairs invited the members of the House of Commons and Senate committees on veterans affairs to attend in order to pay tribute to Canada's veterans on behalf of all parliamentarians.

I think our minister is a good guy. He is from Lévisand he seems to have some common sense. I thought it was a really nice gesture, and I hope this will be repeated and built upon next year, in order to give parliamentarians the opportunity to express our deepest gratitude to our veterans. After all, parliamentarians, along with the executive branch, are the ones who decide when to send our soldiers into situations where they risk being injured or killed.

My question is this: when I look at this and look at how things are reported on Radio-Canada and TVA in French, and on CBC in English, I see that anchors on English-language networks have been wearing the poppy since November 1. Everyone wears it.

I know that people in this field have a code of ethics and a dress code, and since it is an organization that falls under federal jurisdiction, I would have thought that the people who deliver the news to the public would be instructed to wear a poppy beginning on a specific date.

Can the Leader of the Government tell us, first of all, why not everyone at Radio-Canada wears a poppy and, second, if they will be instructed to wear one?

[English]

Hon. Marjory LeBreton (Leader of the Government): Honourable senators, I agree with Senator Dallaire on one thing: Minister Blaney is a good guy from Lévis. I am sure the honourable senator saw this morning at the ceremony with the memorial ribbons, as we saw yesterday in the ceremony here in the Senate chamber, that he is profoundly moved by the stories he hears and the work he is doing on behalf of our veterans. He talks about excursions to the battlefields with obvious emotion. He is a tremendous Minister of Veterans Affairs.

The announcement that he and Minister MacKay made this morning about the memorial ribbons allows families to wear a ribbon in recognition of the support of their fellow citizens for the efforts of their loved ones.

With regard to Radio-Canada, honourable senators, I will not comment. I would hope that all Canadians, who live in a free and open society, wear the poppy in recognition of the sacrifices of the men and women who went into the battlefield to protect our rights and freedoms. I would hope it would be a given that people would want to wear the poppy in honour and recognition of those wonderful citizens of this country.

Honourable senators, thanks to our veterans and those who fight for us, we do live in a free country. In a free country, we do not go around and order people to do things from on high; we would hope they would make that freedom of choice on their own.

Senator Dallaire: Honourable senators, I believe wearing a poppy at this time of year is part of the dress code of a federal public servant who is speaking to all people of the country and reflective of a policy of the country, meaning we are respecting our veterans, and that they would, if not imposed — find whatever word you need — recognize and respect the wish of the federal government to recognize the poppy as appropriate dress when they are in front of the cameras at this time of year. These are not their personal beliefs; this is them simply being the mouthpiece of news. I would hope the leader would reconsider that aspect.

(....)

Hon. Marjory LeBreton (Leader of the Government): Honourable senators, just to finish the honourable senator's recommendation that all public officials should be mandated to wear a poppy, again, the honourable senator is a highly respected military person and I would invite him to seek an audience on Radio-Canada to make that point directly there.

A quick check on this Radio-Canada TV story dated today ....
http://www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/Politique/2012/11/07/001-elections-fixe-drainville.shtml?isAutoPlay=1
.... shows the newsreader with no poppy, but the reporter with a poppy.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 14:36:44 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline NavyShooter

Officially belongs to a ship!!!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
    • NavyShooter's Site
« Reply #147 on: November 08, 2012, 09:22:23 »
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/pub/oth-aut/rd-js/rd-js-eng.asp

Just for those who need a last minute reminder....

Navy:

Army/Air:

Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:
#16 | Rank: 803 | Cbt Exp: 520,298,130 | Msns: 12,038

Online Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #148 on: November 08, 2012, 09:31:13 »
Army/Air:

Not likely Air Force with a rack like that.      :stirpot:

Offline PMedMoe

is NOT a Med Tech.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I am NOT a Med Tech!!
« Reply #149 on: November 08, 2012, 09:46:19 »
Not likely Air Force with a rack like that.      :stirpot:

The illustration is clearly Army as demonstrated by the trade badge/collar dog on the lapel.   ;)
“He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of dispute.” ~ Nietzsche ~