Author Topic: WHAT'S CANADA BUYING? February 2013  (Read 3827 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
WHAT'S CANADA BUYING? February 2013
« on: January 31, 2013, 07:34:11 »
MERX postings and related news here only -
please take discussion/debate to a new thread

Thanks for your help
making this news-only thread work

"I do my best proofreading after I hit send."  @ComedyPosts

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: WHAT'S CANADA BUYING? February 2013
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 19:41:27 »
.... Wanted:  training courses for “Home Made Explosive(s) and Improvised Explosive(s)” (more info from bid package here) ....
A new Statement of Work has been issued - see attached.
Bidders have a bit more time to submit bids, and no, training in the UK isn't what the CF wants - see attached amendment.

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Small arms laser targeting/ranging research
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 07:38:30 »
Wanted:  someone to ".... perform a study on existing and potential laser technologies for ranging and targeting capability for small arms. The work will be divided into two sections: (i) Existing state-of-the-art laser ranging and targeting technologies for small arms; (ii) Potential laser technologies such as the traditional one dimensional, fix beam, aim-and-shoot to one or two dimensional laser scanning to two dimensional flash ladar.  Specification, capability and limitation on ranging and targeting up to 600m standoff distance shall be analysed ...." - more in excerpt from Statement of Work here.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 14:41:15 »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 10:20:29 »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:29:58 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Friggin' laser beams on Cougars!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 08:41:56 »
Wanted:  someone to look into mounting high-energy lasers on vehicles to deal with IEDs/UXO ....
.... DRDC Valcartier is studying emerging technologies for the protection of military vehicles and their occupants.  Specifically, DRDC Valcartier is looking at HEL technology for long standoff neutralization of exposed Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) and remote neutralization of unexploded Ordinances (UXO).

HEL is considered as one of the most promising technology to provide the Canadian Army with an unprecedented performance edge. Over the past years, laser-based defence systems have undergone a key transition from proof-of-concept demonstrations towards field deployable systems. This rapid evolution is due to recent developments in the fibre laser technology which led to an abrupt availability of low cost and robust core laser systems readily available for defence applications.

The goal of this contract is to gain knowledge on the requirements, tradeoffs, and costs related to the integration of a HEL on a vehicle. The vehicle of choice is the Canadian Forces Cougar vehicle also known as the Wolf. The laser beam will be delivered through a beam director mounted on the readily available Remote Weapon Station (RWS) ....
A bit more in the attached Statement of Work.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 09:40:40 »
Soooo.....when the Navy wants one for mines, once this is developed, we could be looking at........
REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

My mind is like lighting, one brilliant flash, then its gone.....

A young boy asks his father "Dad, where did I get my intelligence from?"

Dad replies "You must have gotten it from your mother, I still have mine."

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 10:14:42 »
Soooo.....when the Navy wants one for mines, once this is developed, we could be looking at........
Only if they want to blow up other mines with them :)

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: Friggin' laser beams on Cougars!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 15:17:54 »
Wanted:  someone to look into mounting high-energy lasers on vehicles to deal with IEDs/UXO ....
.... DRDC Valcartier is studying emerging technologies for the protection of military vehicles and their occupants.  Specifically, DRDC Valcartier is looking at HEL technology for long standoff neutralization of exposed Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) and remote neutralization of unexploded Ordinances (UXO).

HEL is considered as one of the most promising technology to provide the Canadian Army with an unprecedented performance edge. Over the past years, laser-based defence systems have undergone a key transition from proof-of-concept demonstrations towards field deployable systems. This rapid evolution is due to recent developments in the fibre laser technology which led to an abrupt availability of low cost and robust core laser systems readily available for defence applications.

The goal of this contract is to gain knowledge on the requirements, tradeoffs, and costs related to the integration of a HEL on a vehicle. The vehicle of choice is the Canadian Forces Cougar vehicle also known as the Wolf. The laser beam will be delivered through a beam director mounted on the readily available Remote Weapon Station (RWS) ....
A bit more in the attached Statement of Work.
The Canadian Press' version:
Could lasers be the answer to roadside bombs?

That's what the Canadian Forces wants to know.

The military is looking at mounting high-powered lasers on armoured vehicles to protect soldiers from improvised explosive devices, or IEDs.

The Canadian Forces would put lasers on its fleet of Cougar armoured vehicles to blast apart bombs from a safe distance ....
Remember, you read it here first! ;)

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Cadet MREs
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 06:53:52 »
Wanted:  ~275K Meals, Ready to Eat (bid request also here if previous link doesn't work) for Cadets from Meal Kit Supply

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 07:31:39 »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Wanted: RCN fuelling stops and back injury prevention pubs
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 07:02:52 »
  • Wanted:  initial information regarding where Canada's navy can fuel up overseas  (posting also viewable here if previous link doesn't work) ".... This RFI (Request for Information) is issued by Public Works and Government Services Canada (PWGSC) on behalf of the Department of National Defence (DND) to gather information to assist in forming a procurement strategy for fuelling naval vessels at various locations around the world ...."
  • Wanted:  someone to create publications to help CF'ers keep their backs healthy ".... The Directorate Force Health Protection of the Department of National Defence requires a series of back injury prevention educational material documents for specific military tasks related to lifting, carrying and loading ...."

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter