Author Topic: WHAT'S CANADA BUYING? December 2012  (Read 3400 times)

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
WHAT'S CANADA BUYING? December 2012
« on: November 29, 2012, 07:38:13 »
MERX postings and related news here only -
please take discussion/debate to a new thread

Thanks for your help
making this news-only thread work

"I do my best proofreading after I hit send."  @ComedyPosts

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
More on who's getting the "Rally Driver Training"
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 21:04:35 »
Remember this?
  • “Public Works and Government Services Canada (PWGSC), on behalf of Department of National Defence (DND), has a requirement for Rally Driver Training. The Offeror must offer rally driver training at DND’s facilities and at the Contractor’s facility including instructors on an “if and when requested” basis. The Offeror must offer Training courses with instructors, facilities, driving tracks, rally vehicles and safety equipment to participants. The participants are DND personnel ….” - more information in part of the bid package here.
Postmedia News' take on the story....
The Canadian Forces is hoping to turn its commandos into rally car drivers, or at least the closest thing to them.

The Defence Department invited companies with experience training rally drivers to submit bids on a contract that would see them teach Canada’s special forces soldiers to drive like the pros.

Rally racing is a high-speed sport that sees drivers speeding along forest roads, up mountain trails and through often difficult road conditions like snow and gravel, taking sharp turns and fighting to keep control on the way to victory.

National Defence wants the successful bidder to provide instructors, facilities, driving tracks, safety equipment and the vehicles themselves on demand for five-day courses.

The contract is very specific about what will be taught, and includes learning five skid types, high-speed obstacle avoidance, advanced cornering techniques, off-road driving, handbrake turns, left-foot braking, pendulum turns, and slalom skills.

The contractor also has to provide a minimum of a 2.5-kilometre loop on a variety of track terrains, including wooded and rugged terrain, gravel, rough or loose dirt, and boring old pavement.

The tracks must also feature blind corners and crests, a variety of corners, side slopes, ascents and descents, and ditches and logs.

Even the vehicles are specified, with either a Toyota Hilux, Toyota 4 Runner, Land Cruiser or Land Rover being acceptable.

The contractor must also have at least three years rally driving experience — and be able to feed the students lunch.

The Canadian military has contracted such training in the past for its commandos, Major Doug MacNair of Canadian Special Operations Forces Command said in an email.

“The Canadian Forces seeks to provide its personnel with the best possible training in order to contribute to their safety and security while operating in areas of elevated risk and also to ensure that CF personnel have the best chance of success on operations.” ....

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: WHAT'S CANADA BUYING? December 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 07:17:09 »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 07:49:20 »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
New SOW for HME-IE Training
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 19:52:56 »
.... Wanted:  training courses for “Home Made Explosive(s) and Improvised Explosive(s)” (more info from bid package here) ....
A new Statement of Work has been issued - see attached.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 07:40:16 »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 14:22:57 »
Wanted: 
  • A system to help those looking for things that can go boom  “The objective of this solicitation is to purchase an Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Search and Removal Equipment Suite (SRES) to be used by the Canadian Forces (CF). CF EOD operators are required to clear unexploded ordnance (UXO) and improvised explosive devices (IEDs). UXO, and in particular IEDs, come in all sizes, shapes and forms, with various kinds of explosives or toxic fillings and with increasingly sophisticated means of initiation. The intended use of the SRES is to provide the EOD operator with a balanced suite of equipment to be used in a systematic manner for the efficient conduct of both direct and indirect search, identification, render safe and removal procedures required in UXO and IED clearance operations ….”- a few more details from part of the Statement of Work here.
  • Someone to train Foreign Affairs staffers to protect themselves in hot spots  “Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFAIT) requires the professional services of a contractor for 8 hours of classroom training within the two-day Personal Security Seminar for Government of Canada employees and their dependents. The supplier will be responsible for the design, customization, preparation and delivery of up to fifteen bilingual classroom sessions per year of the contract.  The Personal Security Seminar is offered to Government of Canada employees and their dependents before departure to postings in certain higher risk countries ….”
  • 8 x Zodiac Hurricaine inflatable boats for Edmonton & Montreal
  • Ice time for 17 Wing Winnipeg – more details (who’s scheduled to play what hockey) here
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:57:38 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 07:35:51 »
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:57:19 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 09:04:52 »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter