Author Topic: Canadian Soldiers Under Investigation for Video with Racial Overtones  (Read 17208 times)

Online Bruce Monkhouse

is calling for summer.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html

What's old is new again........sigh.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1284710--canadian-soldiers-under-investigation-for-video-with-racial-overtones
Richard J. Brennan
National Affairs Writer

A controversial video showing a Canadian military member pretending to be Osama bin Laden’s brother has sparked an investigation by National Defence.

The video, shown during a formal dinner at Canadian Forces Base Greenwood in Nova Scotia in January 2010, was leaked to the CBC.
The soldier, wearing brown makeup and a turban, jokes on the video his niece works for the base and helped him come to Canada, and that he was driving a taxi in Vancouver.

“I am driving one very nice taxi! (walks off camera and shouts) Hey kid get away from that car bomb, I mean taxi. It is very dangerous. Don’t be giving me your dirty finger. I am telling you. I will come to your home and I’ll hump your goat. Now go away, stay away from that s---. Praise be to Allah. He would be so pissed if he heard that s---. I’m sorry. Where were we?”

When the video was made Canada was still involved in a combat mission in Afghanistan.

The CBC reports that the woman referred to as the niece found out about the video and raised it with brass on the base and received apologies from everyone involved in the production.

“There are serious allegations that its content was inappropriate and culturally insensitive. Although I have not seen the video, the information I received so far warranted my concern and immediate action,” Lt.-Gen. Yvan Blondin, head of the Canadian Air Force said in a statement.

Blondin said he has requested the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service conduct a probe into the circumstances surrounding that video.
“I express my apologies to those who may feel offended, and reaffirm my commitment to take any possible administrative, disciplinary or corrective actions that may be warranted,” he stated.
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline Bluebulldog

• Every life gets a second act.
  • Rate Post
  • ignis aurum probat
Re: Canadian Soldiers Under Investigation for Video with Racial Overtones
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 13:28:26 »
Read the transcript on CBC.ca.

Much ado about nothing.
Age and treachery will always trump out youth and enthusiasm.

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 13:30:41 »
Read the transcript on CBC.ca.

Much ado about nothing.

Optics are everything...especially in this country.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 13:31:25 »
What's old is new again........sigh.
Yep. Airmen doing wrong and innocent "soldiers" being tarred with it.

That's what you meant, right?
Far from an apprentice, but not yet a master.

"Je suis trop honnête pour être poli" ~Louis Scutenaire (1905-1987)

Online Bruce Monkhouse

is calling for summer.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 13:34:25 »
I was thinking more along the lines that someone is a jerk-off enough to involve the press which leads to............stuff.
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Online Gronk

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 13:45:10 »
Bravo CBC, what a stellar pile of in depth reporting you've managed to pinch off, I mean pull off. This ranks up there with the hard hitting "apparently some sailors got drunk in Key West" story. Please accept my congratulations for the Pulitzer Prize which I'm sure is on the way.

Online Occam

Oskie wee wee!!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 13:46:41 »
I wonder what Raj Binder would have to say about this...

Offline Bluebulldog

• Rate Post
  • ignis aurum probat
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 13:52:59 »
I wonder what Raj Binder would have to say about this...

Having seen Shawn Majumner live, I'd be betting that he's kicking himself for not doing a bit like this on "This Hour Has 22 Minutes".

Offline Snakedoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 14:20:05 »
Yeah.. Seems to me the issue was already taken care of by the CoC... much like the Key West news story for the RCN.  What is the story here?  "Here is an issue that was already taken care of and we're making it an issue again by making it public and involving the military police."

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 15:00:36 »
CoC Apologized - good.

CoC allegedly ordered destruction of all copies - if so, stupid.  "Hey, we did something that we realized was dumb, so maybe we can pretend it never happened."
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline NavalMoose

• Rate Post
  • "Life in a blue suit"
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 15:09:59 »
"Racial Overtones"....cool name for a band ;D

Offline Staff Weenie

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 15:20:06 »
I am so glad the PC Police weren't around in the 40's - we'd have to ban all the posters, comic books, cartoons, movies, and everything else that made fun of Hitler and the Germans.....then we'd have to apologize to all the Nazis we'd offended.....

Can't for the life of me remember where I read it, but I once came across a theory that demonizing the enemy is an important part of being able to kill him.  I believe there's a fundamental aspect of truth in that.

Offline Teflon

• I blame it on the MAGNETs in our drinking water
  • Rate Post
  • Insert Personal Text Here
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 15:26:20 »
I am so glad the PC Police weren't around in the 40's - we'd have to ban all the posters, comic books, cartoons, movies, and everything else that made fun of Hitler and the Germans.....then we'd have to apologize to all the Nazis we'd offended.....

Can't for the life of me remember where I read it, but I once came across a theory that demonizing the enemy is an important part of being able to kill him.  I believe there's a fundamental aspect of truth in that.

Might not be where you read it but it is covered in LCol (Retired) Grossman's book "On Killing"
When you meet somebody new,
don't get excited, because
9 out of ten times
they're stupid

Offline Jim Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 16:16:54 »
Optics are everything...especially in this country.

MM

While many say "no harm done" it gives ammunition to people that don't like our line of work, our profession, to cut our funding or force more "sensitivity" training.

Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Sadukar09

Something like that.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Oompa-Loompas
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 16:52:01 »
While many say "no harm done" it gives ammunition to people that don't like our line of work, our profession, to cut our funding or force more "sensitivity" training.
When the bad guys show up on their door, they'll say sorry for not opening the door.

Honestly, these people need to stop forcing PC on everyone.
"Bad decisions make good stories."
~Sgt. So and so

Online ModlrMike

: It's ridin' time!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 17:34:40 »
Interesting that the majority of "most agreed" comments on the CBC consider the video satire and not racist.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.
#49 | Rank: 273 | Cbt Exp: 20,640,154 | Msns: 2,650

Offline ObedientiaZelum

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 17:47:46 »
Maybe I'm taking this in the wrong context.

Normally I'd agree that it's a joke and people are over reacting however when I read this;

The soldier, wearing brown makeup and a turban, jokes on the video his niece works for the base and helped him come to Canada, and that he was driving a taxi in Vancouver.

I see someone singling out a base employee (possibly middle eastern decent?) and insinuating they're a terrorist sympathizer. Not only that but made a big production about it semi-publicly. 

I don't think many of us would appreciate being associated with a mass murderer or rapist in our work place, joke or not.

I'd also suggest it constitutes as harassment. (embarrassing someone professionally)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 17:56:49 by ObedientiaZelum »
We ask only to serve
✠ Ave Imperator ✠

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 18:22:35 »
I see someone singling out a base employee (possibly middle eastern decent?) and insinuating they're a terrorist sympathizer. Not only that but made a big production about it semi-publicly. 
Here's how the CBC puts it....
.... the soldier portraying the bin Laden character names an officer working at the military base as the reason he is granting the interview. CBC News has decided not to name the officer.

The officer has confirmed to CBC that she became aware of the video after it was viewed at the mess dinner. She said she questioned her superiors about it and received apologies from everyone involved in the production ....
If this is correct, I might be unhappy too if I was in this person's position, depending on how I was portrayed.

I don't think many of us would appreciate being associated with a mass murderer or rapist in our work place, joke or not.

I'd also suggest it constitutes as harassment. (embarrassing someone professionally)
Good point to consider.

:goodpost:  Remember, it only takes one "holy s**t" to cancel out a thousand "atta boy's".
"I do my best proofreading after I hit send."  @ComedyPosts

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 18:31:59 »
I'm not surprised when people do dumb things; I'm even less surprised when the people are young and alcohol is involved. Holding the Queen's Commission does not render one immune to periodic attacks of idiocy.

What worries me is the casual, almost cavalier attitude that some (many? most?) people have towards information, of all sorts, and the recording, storage and distribution of it. If people are casual enough about recording and distribution copies of this sort of "skit" then how do they handle classified information? Are they equally casual and careless?
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 18:55:36 »
What worries me is the casual, almost cavalier attitude that some (many? most?) people have towards information, of all sorts, and the recording, storage and distribution of it. If people are casual enough about recording and distribution copies of this sort of "skit" then how do they handle classified information? Are they equally casual and careless?

Not at all.  Don't be ridiculous.  It's not like we let a 2Lt copy info from Secret systems on to flash drives and sell it to the Russians.

Oh.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication

Offline Kat Stevens

non atrocitate, non clementia mutabatur.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 19:29:56 »
Hmmm, yet Achmed the Dead Terrorist can fill theatres and sell jillions of videos for Jeff Dunham.  He's even been on CBCs Just For Laughs.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose

If a million people do a stupid thing, it's STILL a stupid thing.

Dimensions will always be expressed in the least useable term, velocity for example, will be expressed in furlongs per fortnight.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats

“Look here, Mars! Look here, Mars! I am Titus Pullo! These bloody men are my gift to you.”

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 19:33:46 »
Hmmm, yet Achmed the Dead Terrorist can fill theatres and sell jillions of videos for Jeff Dunham.  He's even been on CBCs Just For Laughs.
Yeah, I like the idea of the puppet's wine, too.   That said, I think most people hold CF members to a little higher standard than stand-up comedians.

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Kat Stevens

non atrocitate, non clementia mutabatur.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 19:36:22 »
My point was that the CBC will raise the outrage flag at a bit of drunken foolishness, but will laugh along with a whole nation at scripted racial and religious stereotyping.  But you knew what I meant, right?
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose

If a million people do a stupid thing, it's STILL a stupid thing.

Dimensions will always be expressed in the least useable term, velocity for example, will be expressed in furlongs per fortnight.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats

“Look here, Mars! Look here, Mars! I am Titus Pullo! These bloody men are my gift to you.”

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 20:26:02 »
My point was that the CBC will raise the outrage flag at a bit of drunken foolishness, but will laugh along with a whole nation at scripted racial and religious stereotyping.  But you knew what I meant, right?
At least if this was the morning, I'd have the excuse of not having had my coffee yet - dohh!

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 21:04:43 »
I see that CBC have not received the reaction from comments on the original story that they wished to garner, so now they're trying to make waves another way.  It's pathetic. 

Offline mark-space

• Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 21:16:34 »
I wanted to stick a knitting needle through my ears when this story ran on the CBC morning news....leave it to our national broadcaster to make this their lead story a couple days before Remembrance Day.

Watching "Power and Politics" today, I found it interesting to see the discussion panels' take on "...this controversial, racially charged..." video (Host Evan Soloman's words)...takes place at 51:30...

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Politics/ID/2302220877/

With the exception of one panel member, the reaction is more-or-less what prevails in the Comments section of online story; essentially a non-story ginned-up by our friends at the Mother Corp.

...And full points to Tom Flanagan for effectively skewering the coverage for the clown-show it is...QUOTE I think this story shows why we need the CBC...I've been laughing about it since this I read it this morning UNQUOTE.

Poor Evan...he looked like someone p**sed in his pickle jar when he heard that!

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 21:46:20 »
Good catch.  Was good to see Evan get slapped down.

Offline Robert0288

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 03:28:59 »
Comedy should be left to the comedians.  Didn't you hear the man CBC? Professionals only >:D

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2012, 08:53:29 »
Watching "Power and Politics" today, I found it interesting to see the discussion panels' take on "...this controversial, racially charged..."
That bit in orange is something that keeps coming up in, at least, CBC's coverage.....

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online ModlrMike

: It's ridin' time!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 08:55:58 »
Rather ironic that the only people on the show who made anything of this were the two CBC employees.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.
#49 | Rank: 273 | Cbt Exp: 20,640,154 | Msns: 2,650

Offline Tank Troll

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2012, 09:46:36 »
Having seen Shawn Majumner live, I'd be betting that he's kicking himself for not doing a bit like this on "This Hour Has 22 Minutes".

Apparently he doesn't think it is all that funny....................unless it is true that he didn't think of it first and this is he sour grapes bit.
I know the voices in my head are not real...............but Damn they have some good ideas

Offline Bluebulldog

• Rate Post
  • ignis aurum probat
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2012, 09:52:55 »
Apparently he doesn't think it is all that funny....................unless it is true that he didn't think of it first and this is he sour grapes bit.

Of course he doesn't ( publicly). Who do you think pays the bulk of his paycheque?

Offline Tank Troll

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2012, 10:05:09 »
Of course he doesn't ( publicly). Who do you think pays the bulk of his paycheque?

That hasn't stopped him or others from making fun of CBC before. Ultimately the Government of Canada pays him and he hacks crap out of them
I know the voices in my head are not real...............but Damn they have some good ideas

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2012, 10:14:34 »
I'm enjoying reading the roasting CBC is taking in the comments section from the majority of readers.  Too bad it won't teach them a lesson to not try and make news out of SFA.

Offline Snakedoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2012, 11:52:50 »
Not at all.  Don't be ridiculous.  It's not like we let a 2Lt copy info from Secret systems on to flash drives and sell it to the Russians.

Oh.

No, we would never give a 2Lt that responsibility, a Sub-Lieutenant on the other hand, all the civie flash drives he wants.. lol  ::)

Agreed the CBC is blowing this out of proportion to try to make a news story out of something more than it actually is.  It still doesn't make the video appropriate if it unfairly targeted an individual but in my mind, the issue was already dealt with and the individual seemingly accepted the apology or a further investigation would have been conducted on the basis of a complaint. 

Nice to see the CBC get shut down on their own show tho and love the twitter feeds coming up as the panellist speak lol
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:13:52 by Snakedoc »

Offline FJAG

• Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Wolf Riedel Facebook Page
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2012, 22:26:55 »
I realized as I read this story that I haven't watched or listened to CBC for at least six years. Haven't missed it one bit.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Offline PMedMoe

is NOT a Med Tech.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I am NOT a Med Tech!!
“He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of dispute.” ~ Nietzsche ~

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2012, 13:50:03 »
Folks, please, we're talking journalism which is a sub-set of infotaiment which, itself, a subset of the marketing industry.

The modern, 21st century journalist is the direct successor of the Watkins Man who used to call at our back door selling liniments, lotions and notions and spreading gossip ~ my grandmother used to switch the radio off when he came by, serve him tea, listen to his stories and buy something for 25¢.

Most journalists - 80%+ in my opinion - are just that. There are a few, a sadly rare few, who really do want to tell us, the public, the truth, as nearly as they can determine what the truth might be, about what is going on in the bigger, wider world, but most are just travelling salesmen, selling whatever the sponsor/advertiser wants sold: soap, policies, insurance, feminine hygiene products, erectile dysfunction solutions, cars or liniment.

TV is an expensive medium for selling liniment so it needs a constant flow of excitement - visual excitement - to earn its keep. Controversy is exciting so it must be found or, when none can be found, manufactured. And that's what the CBC did: it manufactured some controversy by recycling a two year old, already "solved" problem and putting it back on the air when it might create a stir. It worked, so it was "good" journalism - people watched and, presumably, some of them bought Depends or a Ford Focus or Preparation H or whatever else paid for that "news" programme.

< yawn >

No need for  :tempertantrum:
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2012, 14:06:40 »
Good article here:

CBC smear campaign: State broadcaster’s attack on Canadian Forces no laughing matter
Fave quote from this column:
.... The CBC said the video was an exclusive. But it actually wasn’t. Because the CBC called the military police to come watch the video at the CBC offices. The CBC isn’t just reporting on this “scandal.” It is pitching it to the police, with the implication that the police should lay charges ....
Funny - I wonder how the CBC would respond if, say, civilian police asked to see any video in their possesion?  Like video they shot?  If Levant is correct in this statement, so much for the "the media are not the tools of the police" argument to withold such video in the future.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline ObedientiaZelum

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2012, 15:40:05 »
CBC hates freedom.
We ask only to serve
✠ Ave Imperator ✠

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2012, 20:58:47 »
This from an independent MP (via Macleans.ca):
    Edmonton East Member of Parliament Peter Goldring has expressed outrage and disgust over the manner in which the CBC conducted cheap, amateur, yellow journalism of the worst sort against Canada’s proud military.

The 2010 video of a private party skit in question involves a Canadian soldier dressed up in Taliban attire and posing as Osama bin Laden`s brother, ‘Eugene’. The CBC has latched on to this video and used it to paint the Canadian military and its members as both offensive and culturally insensitive persons.

“This video was meant as nothing more than a little black humour intended for a private audience,” Mr. Goldring stated. “The Canadian military didn’t make this video public, The CBC did. The CBC, who did the right thing to report it to the Canadian military, then had the opportunity to do the next right thing and simply put this video in the garbage can along with the rest of the copies where it belongs. Instead, the CBC are the ones inciting hate and hurting the Arab community worldwide by blasting this video out through national media to be picked up internationally.

“By engaging in yellow journalism and irresponsibly disseminating it for the world to see, the CBC hurt Canada’s image, our military’s image, and unnecessarily offended Arab’s around the world. By spinning this and putting it out for international consumption, the CBC is propagating racism. They took a video that was internal, personal, and limited to a very few, and turned it into an outward Canadian racial attitude for the rest of the world to believe.

“By calling upon CBC comedian Shaun Majumder – a visible minority – to speak out on the supposed ‘cultural insensitivities’ of this video is the height of hypocrisy, as Shaun has portrayed bin Laden as an Arab himself. The CBC attempted to detonate a racist scandal where there simply was none to be found.

“To frame this in perspective, the late Leslie Nielsen has portrayed Osama bin Laden in film – does that make him decidedly racist or insensitive? No, in fact he is recognized on Canada’s Walk of Fame and has also received an Order of Canada.

“Shaun Majumder – the CBC spokesperson condemning the actions in this video – has portrayed Osama bin Laden in skits himself, most notably in a spoof video poking fun at both bin Laden as well as the H1N1 virus during the outbreak. Majumder never faced any backlash or criticisms for his portrayal although it certainly could be said that he was propagating racial hatred not in a simple private event but worldwide.

“This video should not have been news-worthy, but the irresponsibility of the CBC’s reporting has served to define what this harmless skit has now morphed into.

“In the face of this incident, we have to thank the men and women of our Canadian military who were doing nothing more than relieving themselves of the endless stresses of their jobs with a little bit of black comedy that from time to time many people of all races of all countries enjoy, and ended up showing us where the evil truly exists in this country – the CBC headquarters.

“God help us if we have a CBC that does harm to our military and to our country worldwide by exploitative sensationalism.

“I call on the Prime Minister to call up the CBC to issue a sweeping apology to not only our military but our entire country. Their reckless reporting surrounding this non-story has done a great disservice to both our military and out country’s reputations.

“It’s time to consider whether the CBC is with Canadians or against.”

Here's a link to Majumder's Bin Laden/H1N1 sketch on YouTube, as well as a "Bin Laden Goodbye" video with Majumder as Bin Laden here.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online George Wallace

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2012, 21:18:40 »
Now another question that everyone seems to have overlooked: "Who was the numpty who sent the tape to CBC, and why?"
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2012, 21:55:07 »
Now another question that everyone seems to have overlooked: "Who was the numpty who sent the tape to CBC, and why?"
Someone with an axe to grind.  That's always the way.

Offline ObedientiaZelum

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2012, 22:08:05 »
    “By calling upon CBC comedian Shaun Majumder – a visible minority – to speak out on the supposed ‘cultural insensitivities’ of this video is the height of hypocrisy, as Shaun has portrayed bin Laden as an Arab himself. The CBC attempted to detonate a racist scandal where there simply was none to be found.

Nice try hypocrites. I'm almost tempted to go back on facebook or twitter just to tell Shaun what a douchbag he is.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 22:17:03 by ObedientiaZelum »
We ask only to serve
✠ Ave Imperator ✠

Offline busconductor

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2012, 15:21:01 »
What aggravated their  (CBC's) conduct was that they know what  a figure of speech was. Satire. Just like "telling that the military does not need intelligence". Back to freshman books! ;D

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2012, 16:24:54 »

Nice try hypocrites. I'm almost tempted to go back on facebook or twitter just to tell Shaun what a douchbag he is.

Fill yer boots, but I hear the line up is rather long. ;D
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.
#417 | Rank: 7 | Cbt Exp: 536 | Msns: 137

Offline busconductor

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2012, 13:32:16 »
Apologists for Arab terrorism argue that the label "terrorist" was invented. Some of our men and women would sometimes desist to say their opinions on these  matters not out of complacency nor because of acting as a fencesitters. It is the serious and malicious repercussions that it can inflict on them including our loved ones. Hence the label, terrorist.

Right of way! and righteousness maybe suggested metaphors on what we should invoke to these agents of influence or journalists who argue on behalf of terrorists. These are not strong words! These are basic truths!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 13:38:04 by busconductor »

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2012, 13:43:38 »
Whether strong words or basic truths, maybe you could give it a quick edit so that readers could have a hint what you're trying to say. It sounds like a profound statement of.......something.   :dunno:

It could be something simple, like the "pontification" setting on your computer.   :nod:   

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• "Look, I don't know if shooting penguins will help the environment or not. But I do know that the decision shouldn't be in the hands of people who just wanna kill for fun."
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2012, 13:54:58 »
Whether strong words or basic truths, maybe you could give it a quick edit so that readers could have a hint what you're trying to say. It sounds like a profound statement of.......something.   :dunno:

It could be something simple, like the "pontification" setting on your computer.   :nod:   

So, I wasn't the only one.
If I were to live every day as though it were my last, the body count would be staggering

DISCLAIMER - my opinion may cause manginal irritation.

Offline busconductor

• Rate Post
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2012, 14:08:48 »

I opine that it was not dogmatic, the word to describe pontification. It is true! Judging from experience and those of others. Just look how CBC reacted. Truly unrighteous to scandalize a skit and put malice on them. The satirical play was a complete description of some of the worst terrorists in the world. Driving a wedge between like minded persons is like fomenting "one's son to kill his father".

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• "Look, I don't know if shooting penguins will help the environment or not. But I do know that the decision shouldn't be in the hands of people who just wanna kill for fun."
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2012, 14:26:27 »
I opine that it was not dogmatic, the word to describe pontification. It is true! Judging from experience and those of others. Just look how CBC reacted. Truly unrighteous to scandalize a skit and put malice on them. The satirical play was a complete description of some of the worst terrorists in the world. Driving a wedge between like minded persons is like fomenting "one's son to kill his father".

:facepalm:

Can we get a translator in here?

Preferably one from Elizabethan England?
If I were to live every day as though it were my last, the body count would be staggering

DISCLAIMER - my opinion may cause manginal irritation.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2012, 14:42:15 »

Wouldn't help ... trust me. I can read e.g. William Cecil, Francis Walsingham and Elizabeth, herself, in the original, and I can understand them with relative ease. Busconductor, on the other hand ...  ???
----------

Offline Tank Troll

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2012, 14:46:43 »
And here I thought I was the only one that was going Huh???

Offline Eye In The Sky

• *Aces Wild*
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • *Aces Wild*
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2012, 15:02:43 »

See?  You should have listened to your mom when she said to "stop sniffing that glue!".   ;D

"...turn right, vector....3-6-5....CORRECTION!  vector...3-7-0..."

Offline uptheglens

• Initial Warning
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2012, 20:12:52 »

Works a treat if you have Yoda's voice in your head when you read his posts.

Offline Nikko 2012

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2012, 00:06:28 »
Works a treat if you have Yoda's voice in your head when you read his posts.

It does in deed  hmmm :nod:

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
CFNIS probe wrapped up ....
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2013, 14:26:01 »
.... with the following conclusion:
.... “The Canadian Forces Military Police takes all allegations of inappropriate and improper conduct seriously.  We have investigated the allegations to determine the facts; we have analyzed the evidence and concluded that charges are not warranted,” said Colonel Tim Grubb, Canadian Forces Provost Marshal.  “This investigation further determined that the Royal Canadian Air Force chain of command took prompt and appropriate administrative and corrective actions once this video was brought to its attention." ....
Time to move along, nothing left to see here?

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline ObedientiaZelum

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2013, 15:46:55 »
Except that now thanks to CBC trying to fabricate a story about racism the chain of command of the soldiers involved blasted them with charges and made their life shitty for the attention that this caused.
We ask only to serve
✠ Ave Imperator ✠

Offline Eye In The Sky

• *Aces Wild*
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • *Aces Wild*
"...turn right, vector....3-6-5....CORRECTION!  vector...3-7-0..."

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2013, 15:59:50 »
Statement from the CAS/Cmdr RCAF

I'm thinking he needs better writers.

"The CFNIS has now completed its investigation, and determined that there is no evidence of any military discipline"

(Yes, the quote goes on, but it's poorly worded)

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2013, 16:02:35 »
I'm thinking he needs better writers .... (Yes, the quote goes on, but it's poorly worded)
Maybe they were in a hurry?

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Pandora114

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2013, 16:32:34 »
Maybe they were in a hurry?

Might be Frenglish.

I remember at the Christmas Dinner for my husband's unit...the Padre did grace, and he said "And Fellowship" But the guy was so French it came out sounding like "And I'm Full of S***"  The poor RAF guy at the table heard it the same way too and we both tried not to laugh..but it didn't work.

No compromising videos were shown at that dinner.  Nor at the mess dinner in May, no worries from that unit in Greenwood. >.>